• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Stunted seedlings

I have a lot of seedlings started--probably 150 or more-- and i've somehow managed to keep'm alive, despite my ineptitude.  I'm realizing now that, initially, i'd been giving them too much water and not enough light; i believe I've fixed all of that now, but most of these seeds were sown back in mid- to late-march and now it's May, and most of'm are only a few inches tall with 3 to 4 sets of real leaves (meaning like 6 to 8 leaves total, not counting cotyledons...) So, I'm pretty sure that's some slow-azzed growth; the vast majority of my plants are chinense and i know they tend to grow more slowly, but I expected'm to be bigger by now....

I have noticed that they've been getting noticeably better since i transplanted them into solo cups, some plants far more so than others.  I've also since revised my watering strategy, and got some more/better lights.  It looks like most will live.  I guess what I'm asking, mostly, is:

-how big should the typical chinense plant be, 6 to 8 weeks after being sown?
-if my plants are stunted, but are still showing signs that they're growing now, can i expect them to bounce back and, eventually, yield pods?  I'm in zone 7a.  Weather's been a little tricky, this year.

Thanks in advance.
-Rob

PS- maybe I'll even post some pics later. =P 

moruga welder said:
i would start them in feb.     :party:
Oh, definitely gonna go that route next year.  I'm just curious as to just how stunted my plants are, and if there's any hope for'm at all, at this point.

Bicycle808 said:
Oh, definitely gonna go that route next year.  I'm just curious as to just how stunted my plants are, and if there's any hope for'm at all, at this point.
always hope !  chinese are slow growers until summer then BAM !    grow them in 3 or 5 gal. you'll do fine ,   :party:

moruga welder said:
always hope !  chinese are slow growers until summer then BAM !  where you located ?
South Jersey.  Zone 7a.  Been chilly this Spring, so far.  Haven't been hardening off as much as i'd planned, due to rain/cold.... and, y'know, working daytime hours.  A few hours in early evening, and weekends, for the bigger plants.

You'll be fine, man. I had a "runt" TFM Scotch Bonnet last year that was ridiculously stunted. Started it in February and by June/July it was still only about 6-10" tall, so I almost trashed it. By the end of October, you never would've known. It caught right up with the rest of my plants. Let it ride! :cheers:

moruga welder said:
got ya a little green house ?  been colder than normal here also , but the plants been out in the greenhouse for 3 weeks and their bursting !

Nope... no greenhouse (yet) and my yard is so small, I'm not sure that there's even room for one.  I could probably use the greenhouse at work, but I don't like to impose.  But, truth be told, at this point, I really wish I had imposed.  The guy who runs the farm probably wouldn't have minded, and very fw others would ever have even known....
MikeUSMC said:
You'll be fine, man. I had a "runt" TFM Scotch Bonnet last year that was ridiculously stunted. Started it in February and by June/July it was still only about 6-10" tall, so I almost trashed it. By the end of October, you never would've known. It caught right up with the rest of my plants. Let it ride! :cheers:
That's encouraging.  Incidentally, some of my most promising plants are TFMs, so....  But, TBH,I'll be stunned if these March babies get to be 6"-10" by July... 

Really, I'm at a point where if i just get a few pods from a few of my plants.  I had kinda figured that this season was going to be an expensive--yet valuable-- lesson in pepperology.  I'm planning to try some weird indoor experiments as I go; right now, I'm just trying to gain experience and--maybe some day-- a clue.

Thanks for the responses so far, both of ya.  Still hoping to hear others chime in with some experiences...

Found some pics.

Here's the plant on June 3rd (remember, this was sowed in February). Getting ready to pot it up into a 5 gallon bucket (from a .75 gallon pot), just because that's the day I did all the other ones. I'd completely given up on it by this point.....

July 10.....

August 31. Thing took off like a rocket. Closest row of 4 to us, 3rd from the left

Enjoying the fruit of my labor :cheers:

LET IT RIDE, BRO!!! :)

I haven't taken many pictures this year, nor updated my glog, but I am in the same zone as you. I already planted out, finished last weekend. March is pretty late to be starting Chinense but you should still be able to get a nice harvest. Plants are having no issues with the couple of nights in the low 40's. Have you fed them yet?

tctenten said:
I haven't taken many pictures this year, nor updated my glog, but I am in the same zone as you. I already planted out, finished last weekend. March is pretty late to be starting Chinense but you should still be able to get a nice harvest. Plants are having no issues with the couple of nights in the low 40's. Have you fed them yet?

I know I basically dropped the ball with the chinense but TBH, I started my annuums the same time, and they're not looking much better.  Of course, they're much earlier producers than the chinense are, so I'm not as concerned.

What size are the plants you'd planted out?  Mine are small enough that I feel nervous about getting them in the ground.

I haven't used any nutes yet b/c I've read so much for/against fertilizing really young plants, and I'm scared of burning them.  But, I got so many plants and i already bought some good stuff, so I might feed a few, see how they respond, and then make decisions re: the others depending on what happens...

oy, your last pic makes me want to go buy a pack of reds and a bottle of whisky.... nice plants though

MikeUSMC said:
Found some pics.

Here's the plant on June 3rd (remember, this was sowed in February). Getting ready to pot it up into a 5 gallon bucket (from a .75 gallon pot), just because that's the day I did all the other ones. I'd completely given up on it by this point.....

July 10.....

August 31. Thing took off like a rocket. Closest row of 4 to us, 3rd from the left

Enjoying the fruit of my labor :cheers:

LET IT RIDE, BRO!!! :)

Back