• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Stupid indecisive spring

We've been having a really mild spring in my area, so I got a little cocky and put some of my plants in beds...now they're calling for slightly below zero temps over night for the next few days. Just wondering what the consensus is: should I dig em up and move em inside? The beds have hoops with plastic sheeting covering them and the temperature inside tends to be 5-10 degrees celcius higher than the outside air so far with sunny weather.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thats a tough call April is very early tah put stuff in the ground that far North. Down here they turn on the sprinklers if it gets too cold, the water out of the ground is above 40 degrees and helps the crops survive.

I just noticed you are in Canada, eh, I am in Texas but my ancestors come from your parts in St. Hyacinthe, woodworkers, they made the Casavant Pipe Organs there, I would say in a pinch cover them up with a thick tarp (dark color preferably), and if u have them, take some old coffee cans or such and place them gently over them or sawdust, leaves or whatever, you get the idea..till the freeze is over, don't pull them up though too much shock to the roots...

Good Luck

I would have never planted so early so far north. I have insanely overgrown tomatoes that I haven't put in the ground because even with the warm daytime temps, we're still dropping close to freezing at night. I've still had some frosts hit after normal planting times in the past. I wouldn't dig everything up unless it's going to stay cold for several days, including daytime. Instead, bundle the plants up well. In addition to your plastic sheeting, add straw or other mulch to keep the ground warm. You can wrap individual plants with newspaper or additional plastic bags or bottles over them (we used to save up 2L bottles and cut the tops off to place over plants), and before nightfall, cover your plastic hoops with a heavier blanket to hold in the heat overnight. During the daytime, uncover to let the heat from the sun warm up the interior again. Good luck!

Thanks everyone.

I knew I was rolling the dice when I put them out, I just couldn't help myself. I still have close to a hundred indoors, so even if they buy it it isn't a total loss.

I'll bundle them up in some mulch and cross my fingers for the next few nights and see how it goes.

Back