• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Substitutes for root plugs????

Hello everybody.

Like the title states, for hydroponics, what can be substituted instead of normal root plugs? My plants that I want to place into a five gallon bucket are about two inches tall at the moment.

I dont want to buy a bag of 20 when i only need two. Any ideas?

you can just place the seedlig into the hydroton and make sure to keep an eye so they dont dry out

Explain dry out. Like extreme water fail? So just like watch for uhm wilting?

And also do you know the correct procedure to "wash" the plant because its currently in a jiffy pellet.

Thanks in advance

i have never used jiffy pellets so not sure how easy they break apart. but just be very careful as to not tear up the roots. and the one time i put a a plant in the hydroton i would take a cup of solution out of res and pour it over the root zone every 4-5 days or is they leaves showed signs of wilting(after they show new growth and not from shock)

Explain dry out. Like extreme water fail? So just like watch for uhm wilting?

And also do you know the correct procedure to "wash" the plant because its currently in a jiffy pellet.

Thanks in advance

I just did something similar recently as an experiment and so far it is working well, i posted it in another forum

you actually dont need "rockwool" or anyhting of that nature to make a plant grow in the DWC, the reason you use the rapid rooter or rockwool is to germinate the seeds in and once the roots have colonized the plugs you cant pull it apart! i have taken overwatered plants and placed them in hydroton roots free and they made a comeback where i removed them and placed them back into soil.

you actually dont need "rockwool" or anyhting of that nature to make a plant grow in the DWC, the reason you use the rapid rooter or rockwool is to germinate the seeds in and once the roots have colonized the plugs you cant pull it apart! i have taken overwatered plants and placed them in hydroton roots free and they made a comeback where i removed them and placed them back into soil.

That is good to know bro, I did not realize they could be that resilient, good info to know as I am a noob and still learning.
Thanx Bro

as far as transplanting goes, the outside netting peels off the jiffy pellet (if the roots arent all through it) and then i just dip the seedling in a bowl of water repeatedly and the peat will start to come off on its own without manhandling it. Also as mentioned earlier, i just douse my hydroton once and a while until roots actually reach the nutrients

Back