• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Substitutes

Since I only have access to fresh habanero peppers locally in my area and nothing hotter what do you recommend to kick up the heat without drastically changing the flavor profile on my sauces. Do you recommend dry ground pepper or dried whole peppers ? Right now I'm just increasing the habs from say 12 to 24 in my salsa's/ sauces for heat. I'm growing 4 different superhots but they will not be ready until a few months. Thanks !

how about dehydrating your local habs and using that as a powder additive........... i do it all the time with orange habs and it adds killer heat.

12 to 24 in what quantity of sauce?  When I make a batch of sauce it has hundreds of peppers but each batch is at least 1/2 gallon or more.  You can make quite hot sauces using only habs.

Everyone has their own sauce prep method but you can increase the concentration by simply roasting them before pureeing them in a blender to liquify them more, then cook them down longer.  It'll be a thicker sauce but you can always thin it later if you want and thicker is better if you want to add it to BBQ, mayo, lime or whatever to make a custom sauce for a particular meal.

Dave2000 said:
12 to 24 in what quantity of sauce?  When I make a batch of sauce it has hundreds of peppers but each batch is at least 1/2 gallon or more.  You can make quite hot sauces using only habs.

Everyone has their own sauce prep method but you can increase the concentration by simply roasting them before pureeing them in a blender to liquify them more, then cook them down longer.  It'll be a thicker sauce but you can always thin it later if you want and thicker is better if you want to add it to BBQ, mayo, lime or whatever to make a custom sauce for a particular meal.
1-2 quarts depending on how hot and concentrated I want to make it. Do you think I'm wasting peppers ?

Bhut_Trolokia said:
What about using Morugas or Reapers?
Don't they taste like Habanero?
I've never tasted one before but I'm growing some this year. I also ordered some dry pepper of each of them.

SavinaRed said:
1-2 quarts depending on how hot and concentrated I want to make it. Do you think I'm wasting peppers ?

No I think you aren't using enough peppers.  The amount I use for sauce depends on what's ripe at the time but a rough average ratio would be 300 (hab sized) peppers to produce 1 gallon of sauce, or half that if there's going to be other fruits or vegetables in it too, anything that doesn't cook down as much as garlic or onions, etc.

... if it's too strong you can always thin it later.  Reading your post again it seems like you're buying the habs instead of growing.  The luxury of growing them yourself is you then have access to hundreds without the expense of buying them.  Just make sure you have enough plants that you have enough ripe at the same time to make a decent sized batch because it's a PITA to keep making small batches of sauce.  Powders I don't get into much for sauces because they just don't taste the same to me as using the fresh, roasted pods.

Dave2000 said:

No I think you aren't using enough peppers.  The amount I use for sauce depends on what's ripe at the time but a rough average ratio would be 300 (hab sized) peppers to produce 1 gallon of sauce, or half that if there's going to be other fruits or vegetables in it too, anything that doesn't cook down as much as garlic or onions, etc.

... if it's too strong you can always thin it later.  Reading your post again it seems like you're buying the habs instead of growing.  The luxury of growing them yourself is you then have access to hundreds without the expense of buying them.  Just make sure you have enough plants that you have enough ripe at the same time to make a decent sized batch because it's a PITA to keep making small batches of sauce.  Powders I don't get into much for sauces because they just don't taste the same to me as using the fresh, roasted pods.
You are correct that I'm buying them. I have a dozen different pepper plants growing as we speak. This is my first year growing peppers so wish me luck lol.

Back