• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Successful C. galapagoense Cross

Here is a seedling whose "father" was a C. galapagoense and "mother" was an F1 cross between a Florida Wild and an unknown Mexican C. annuum (not completely unknown, just one of a handful I was growing last year).  The pubescence on the seedling confirms the success of the cross (at least to me).  I'll update this post if the plant survives to produce fruit.

[Florida Wild x C. annuum] x C. galapagoense F1:

Here is what the Florida Wild x C. annuum fruit looked like:

Thanks.  It's been a dream of sorts for me to create and grow a C. galapagoense cross.  I have some other possibly successful crosses where the galapa is the "mother," but the little fruits haven't ripened yet, so I'll have to wait and see on those.

Congrats with your successful cross! Will be following this down the road. Its very cool to see that you know the genetic makeup of crossing and were able to create a cross ypu had been hoping for!

megahot said:
Congrats with your successful cross! Will be following this down the road. Its very cool to see that you know the genetic makeup of crossing and were able to create a cross ypu had been hoping for!

RedtailForester said:
Awesome man! Can't wait to see what the Galapo kids look like!

Nightshade said:
Great success!!

Thank you gents!  I hope it survives, we're having such a wet summer, I've brought it inside and fired up the old grow light.

Spicegeist said:
Thank you gents!  I hope it survives, we're having such a wet summer, I've brought it inside and fired up the old grow light.
Yup, had to do the same last summer, fortunately this summer has been dry. That must be why my plants are getting nailed by pests.

megahot said:
Yup, had to do the same last summer, fortunately this summer has been dry. That must be why my plants are getting nailed by pests.

Definitely is.  I realized that last week when I went to buy some copper spray and it was the only item that was all sold out.

Edit: I should mention I was happy they ran out, I later read that using copper can lead to more virulent bacteria.  With a little additional fertilizer most plants are doing just fine.

Nightshade said:
I assume he is just testing viability when doing crosses with the galapagoense and he wanted the galap traits to show
Fair enough. I thought that galapagoense and annuum var glabriusculum were extremely close from the DNA analysis, so it makes sense to try and cross it to wild tepin or similar. 

I don't get it.

Why would you want to cross a pepper that is the only one of it's kind in the world(from the islands) and turn it into a cross?
I know,because you can,I guess.

I guess the super hot cross insanity is going to mess up wilds now too.

I hope this Hybrid popularity ends soon.
A LOT of stuff that used to be easy to buy isn't anymore in favor of selling crosses and mostly super hots.
I've purchased everything most U.S. vendors sell and some stuff from other places over several years.
My personal collection is mostly seeds I purchased over the years and then grew out in isolation(mostly).
My collection is getting old enough that I have to grow stuff out myself because I can't buy it anymore or it just isn't sold.
Trades never grow true these days.

I just see too many varieties not available these days because of the recent hybrid mania going on.

My point is basically,don't neglect to grow a few isolated pods from the Galopagoence along with the crosses you decide to make.
I see too many crosses being made and find the original varieties getting lost in the shuffle.

Not trying to rain on your parade,just bringing up something that I think is important.
Pure isolated stuff,these days is getting rare for a lot of varieties.

Something few think about these days...

I haven't seen many C. galapagoense crosses and from reading around, there seems to be some uncertainty regarding what it will or won't cross with. 

Interesting things can happen when you get some wild genes in the mix.  For example, a tomato from the Galapagos Islands with high salt tolerance has been bred into a few tomato lines.

I grow a variety of plants, some crosses, and some "pure" lines as well.  Conservation and genetic improvement don't have to be mutually exclusive activities.

A cross is a great idea. They are difficult to grow. I was hoping to grow c.galapagoense to cross to bring some cool traits over and for pure seeds. Lol, it's been months and the little guys haven't grown much. They must only be 4 inches. That was all my seeds and gonna have to toss them if they don't grow faster. I look forward to your success Spicegeist. I think it's a cool experiment.

smokemaster said:
Not trying to rain on your parade,just bringing up something that I think is important.
Pure isolated stuff,these days is getting rare for a lot of varieties.

Something few think about these days...

I think about it in my grow.  I just don't really care.  I don't grow anything in isolation, I just let nature do its thing.  When I trade I let people know, this is what it was, it may or may not have crossed.  This year I have made no intentional crosses.  But if I decide to do it, I really couldn't care less if someone from another part of the country is upset about it.  I have no guarantees that the source I got my seeds from are "pure".  The only truly "pure seeds" are those you've picked yourself in the wild, and have isolated yourself.  If that is the route you choose to take, it's commendable, but not everyone has your goals in mind.  I know I sound rude, but they're his plants to do what he wants with them.  I say, have at it.

Back