• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Successful Hatch Chile Festival

We took a family trip to the Hatch Chile Festival this weekend. Really enjoyed walking through the town checking out all the little shops. When we first arrived I could not believe all the people, it was wall to wall. Ended up buying buying two bushels of Jalapenos and one of Sate Fe Grande. If that was not enough I could not pass on a burlap sack of Big Jim. After sorting out the good the bad & the ugly here is what we ended up with.

IMG_2049.jpg

One Gallon freezer bags

IMG_2052.jpg

Full sack not yet sorted

IMG_2056.jpg

After sorting and giving a bunch to family

IMG_2061.jpg

Just had to bring this little guy home.

I got my hands on some Hatch chili's this year for the first time. They didn't last very long.

What are your plans for all those babies?

Excellent! My daughter and I just returned from Hatch. Brought back 4 sacks of chiles. And lots of dried reds. We processed 7 sacks between my brother and I. We also roasted another sack in the back yard last night. What a great time of year.

I got my hands on some Hatch chili's this year for the first time. They didn't last very long.

What are your plans for all those babies?

We roasted a bunch of the Big Jim's today. As for the Jalapenos & Santa Fe's, most went in the fridge to be used for Sauce & Salsa next weekend. What was left went in the freezer to be used in the future.

Love the chili guy art :)
I'd never heard of that festival, nor any chili festival to be honest and it sounds awesome to think of just scoping it out. What kind of variety of peppers did they have? Was there all sorts of specialty foods, sauces, etc? What was the coolest thing you saw? What am I missing out on?!?

Very nice bundle of delicious chilies! If I lived closer to the southwest US, I'd definitely be on board for the chili festivals. It's tough to find chili festivals here in the Northeast! I just tried some peppers from a local grocer that were labeled as "Extra Hot Hatch Peppers," and they looked similar to New Mexico or Anaheim, but I put them at easily 80,000 Scovilles. They were brutal, especially for the size! My mouth got its proverbial butt handed to it when I ate a whole one for a test video. Wow!

Back