• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sudden temp drop, what should i do

I just checked my weather outlook for the next 5 days, and it has been updated to show a sudden temp drop for my area :(

prior, the expected temps were not supposed to get below 60 degs.

Now, i have this

Sat: High= 67 low= 38
Sun: High= 35 Low= 39

is this to low to kill off my plants? I have about 30 pepper plants, in the ground, each about 1ft tall.

Make sure you cover them at night! Just go and buy a tarp and you should be ok. You just have to worry about getting hit with frost. It might slow them down but you should be ok. I'm waiting to put mine out no matter how bad i want too

I second the tarp idea. That cheap blue stuff works well, we use it on our overwinters for nights that will be below freezing. You can also run some extension cords out there with old fashioned incandescent bulbs in a cheap fixture. Just make sure the tarp doesn't touch the bulb...melted plastic bad! Or you can run some christmas lights. It doesn't take much to keep the temps up a few degrees.

How many did you plant out? You can put buckets/empty milk cartons/empty pots. Anything large enough to cover them
at night.

How many did you plant out? You can put buckets/empty milk cartons/empty pots. Anything large enough to cover them
at night.

I was gonna say that but i think he said 30 plants. Doubt he had that many jugs our buckets. Lol... That's why i say tarps

Actually light weight blankets weighs prolly work too. Just to so the cold wind and frost from getting to the leaves.

I worry less about permanent damage than about slowing growth. My observation is that anything below 40 puts the plants to sleep for a couple weeks.

Back