• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Sugar Rush Height? Container Size?

Hey everyone, the amount of knowledge on this forum is literally mind-blowing. Anytime something is going on with a pepper plant, or any other plant really, there's already a thread about it. Seriously incredible.

Anyway, Sugar Rush Chili, I know it's not a superhot or whatever, but it's a good snacking pepper for me. I've got 4(qty) in 12" pots, they were transplanted from there little seedling pots (2",4"?, can't recall) when they were around 8-10" tall. They are all now about 2.5Ft(30 inches) tall and have been outside for the better part of a month. A few chilly nights I brought them in, but other then those few nights, they are fully suited to outdoor life now. I've read they get 4-5ft tall easy, but the growing season here (North Dakota) is short and I've never seen a full size pepper plant like most other areas do.

Fertilized with Tomato-Tone and CalMag rotating weekly. So, 2 weeks between same fert application. Watered every other day through the lawn sprinklers at 5:30AM (18 min, of which they probably receive 2 minutes of direct spray, the tomatoes and cucumbers get far more)  and I drilled holes in the bottoms of the pots so there is no resting water. 

Should I put these into larger containers? 5 gal bucket? Whats your thoughts? Anything else ya'll need to know to make an educated guess?

I hesitate to weigh in, because my growing conditions are so different than yours, but here's my advice anyways...

Potting up can often result in a period of "transplant shock".  The length varies depending on the skill of the gardener.  For most of us, the benefits of potting up outweigh the disruption.  But you're in the middle of a period of really long days of sunlight.

I'd leave three of them in their 12 inch pots, and let them soak up these long daylight hours.  Pot one of them up to a 5 gallon bucket so you can learn how this works out in your climate.

The Sugar Rush Peach, being a bacuutum, will take longer to ripen than more common peppers like Jalapenos.  To me, in your growing zone, let a few of them sprint to the finish in their smaller pots.

stettoman grows in Northern MN (but i forget his latitude).
i think he uses 5 gallon buckets with good results. maybe he'll chime in
i'm near Madison (5a/4b?) and 5 gallons are great

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
@ Malarky, I find putting the addressed member in a "quote" helps them find the post you think they can help with...

Heh heh, and then--Here I am!! :party:

Yepper, most of my containers are 5 gallon, but I've gone to using fabric pots. The only Bacaatum I'm growing this year is Aji Amarillo, and she is in a 20 gallon fabric.

I'm about 50 miles northeast of Fargo, right on the old shoreline of Lake Agassiz. Zone 3, which means 6 months of winter, 6 months of tough sleddin'...I bring my containers in every year to finish, though I tried to overwinter about 20 plants last year, which became an aphid nightmare...

I put my Anuums in the dirt, though, lots of Big Jim Chiles and a number of Midlle Eastern varieties, along with my Rocoto Amarillos and Aji Oros, both Pubescens.

Luck with your grow, Like NECM sed, it's the middle of vegetation development, if you want to try to transplant now you may expect some temporary pause. Try with one, judge your result.

Oh, and the CalMag is great, but my plants seem to like a nice 3-1-2 or a 5-1-1, well-diluted, especially with the added nitrogen in CalMag...

stettoman said:

AaJLo1B.jpg

We are the same zone then. I think I might give it a whirl with one plant and see what happens.

5-1-1, I think I'll use this on the test transplant plant as well as one of the originals and compare to my current fert routine. Might have to add it in fulltime if results are good.

Thanks for the wisdom!
stettoman said:

Yepper, most of my containers are 5 gallon, but I've gone to using fabric pots. The only Bacaatum I'm growing this year is Aji Amarillo, and she is in a 20 gallon fabric.

I'm about 50 miles northeast of Fargo, right on the old shoreline of Lake Agassiz. Zone 3, which means 6 months of winter, 6 months of tough sleddin'...I bring my containers in every year to finish, though I tried to overwinter about 20 plants last year, which became an aphid nightmare...

I put my Anuums in the dirt, though, lots of Big Jim Chiles and a number of Midlle Eastern varieties, along with my Rocoto Amarillos and Aji Oros, both Pubescens.

Luck with your grow, Like NECM sed, it's the middle of vegetation development, if you want to try to transplant now you may expect some temporary pause. Try with one, judge your result.

Oh, and the CalMag is great, but my plants seem to like a nice 3-1-2 or a 5-1-1, well-diluted, especially with the added nitrogen in CalMag...

intensejustin said:
We are the same zone then. I think I might give it a whirl with one plant and see what happens.

5-1-1, I think I'll use this on the test transplant plant as well as one of the originals and compare to my current fert routine. Might have to add it in fulltime if results are good.

Thanks for the wisdom!

Just to clarify: 5-1-1 = Alaska Fish Fertilizer

https://www.pennington.com/all-products/fertilizer/alaska-fish-fertilizer

Back