• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

cuisines Suggest a Mexican meal for me?

Hi all,

I'm moving tonight and would love to cook a bit of Mexican in my new place. The thing is, I don't really know much about Mexican cuisine, or what would be good. I'm lactose-intolerant, though I can take pills, so I'd prefer not ultra-heavy on the cheese. I have orange habaneros and a variety of scotch bonnets in the fridge, and can pick up jalaps and serranos.

You make the suggestion (recipe would be great), I'll do the cooking (& drinking) and post pictures.

Thanks!

Make a foil "pocket" and put into it:

Drizzle of olive oil
Pat of butter
Tilapia filet
Olives
Sliced onions
Sliced tomatoe
Sliced peppers
Cilantro
Cumin
Sea Salt
Mexican Oregano
A bit of white wine
Lime juice

Seal the pocket up, slap it in the oven at 350F until the tilapia is done. I frequently add other veggies, such as zucchini or eggplant, and whatever other seasonings strike my fancy ATM. I usually serve this with rice.
Edit: Forgot the lime.... duh.

geeme,

Any sort of guideline on the timing so I'm not opening it to check too often? I don't eat a lot of fish, living on the prairies. Sounds pretty damn good.

I thought all you Canucks ate up there was Caribou ribs, Polar bear steaks and black flies!? Heck, through a couple of moose flies into a tortilla and you are good to go!!! ;)

Any sort of guideline on the timing so I'm not opening it to check too often? I don't eat a lot of fish, living on the prairies. Sounds pretty damn good.

Just got back from class, and I'm assuming you figured something out by now. I realized I put the wrong temp - should be 400F. Usually about 20 mins.Be sure to slice the onion fairly thin.

Hi all,

I'm moving tonight and would love to cook a bit of Mexican in my new place. The thing is, I don't really know much about Mexican cuisine, or what would be good. I'm lactose-intolerant, though I can take pills, so I'd prefer not ultra-heavy on the cheese. I have orange habaneros and a variety of scotch bonnets in the fridge, and can pick up jalaps and serranos.

You make the suggestion (recipe would be great), I'll do the cooking (& drinking) and post pictures.

Thanks!

You should order out Chinese.

Puerco Pibil masterfully done by Armadillo, or carnitas, done the traditional way, with warm tortillas.

Low and slow food is the best.

Wow, lots of gold here. I didn't get the info in time to do the tilapia yesterday, but I'll be making several things from this thread. I'll post pictures, too, though like I said, my pepper selection is a bit limited.

I'm out of town tonight until Friday/Saturday, but then... boom.

Don't do tilapia. Google "trash fish" and you'll see it's picture. For Mezcan/Tex-Mex do anything rice, beans and tortilla's, corn or flour. Leave off the cheese. Go heavy on the chile's. Add lots of lime's, salsa, avocado and enjoy. Compliment with Mexican beer or tequila. Cuidado! Very Addictive!

I'm making Mole Chicken this week. Gonna mix up a batch of cilantro/lime rice the mole chicken and slap it all on some tortillas.

Don't do tilapia. Google "trash fish" and you'll see it's picture.

Wow, TB..... just wow.

Wikipedia (noting that "trash fish" is slang for "rough fish"):
There is no standard list of rough fishes. A fish that is considered a rough fish in one region may be considered a desirable game and food fish in another. This is often due to cultural differences or simply tradition. For example, the common carp is considered an undesirable rough fish in the United States and Australia, but is the premier game fish of Europe and the most valuable food fish across most of Asia. Likewise, the Longnose gar is considered a rough fish and undesirable nuisance in Ohio, but in Louisiana it is considered a delicacy and featured in local barbecues.

It's really just a head game - keep an open mind!

Puerco Pibil is awesome and so easy to do.
We take the leftovers the next night and mix it into Black bean and Bacon Enchiladas. My wife won't divulge the recipe even to me so I can't tell you exactly what to do, but if you mess around with the idea I know you'll come up with something awesome.

Back