• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

suggestion for indoors?

next year, i am going to be growing all of my plants outside, except i would like to grow 1 indoors, just for fun. i was thinking of doing something like a thai dragon indoors. thoughts? i want to grow something that is more of a bush than something that sprawls, and i want something that makes alot of peppers, and peppers that arent extremely hot (friends and family will not eat habs). so what do you guys think? good idea? different pepper suggestion?

Darn, if it wasn't "extremely hot" then I would have had a good one for you. Rainbow Chili's grow alot of fruit but are most beautiful in full sun so that's out. Cayanne Ring-of-Fire is a nice one as is the Fresno. Purira's are hot but sweet and are a nice plant to look at.

If you cut off the top part of a plant, it will bush out at the nodes where the leaves meet the stem. I tried it with my biggest jal once (actually I wanted to clone it, and failed... :( ) and after a few days, little leaves started appearing at the nodes. This was about 3-4 weeks ago, and they haven't quite reached the size of the older leaves yet, but then again, they don't get a lot of sun, either (they're indoors under an east-facing window). They also have those little crown-like-proto-flower things on them, so it seems that they're about as mature as the rest of the plant.

imaguitargod said:
Darn, if it wasn't "extremely hot" then I would have had a good one for you. Rainbow Chili's grow alot of fruit but are most beautiful in full sun so that's out. Cayanne Ring-of-Fire is a nice one as is the Fresno. Purira's are hot but sweet and are a nice plant to look at.

whats the suggestion for extremely hot?

imaguitargod said:
Tepins. They grow very busy or very big. And produce like no other pepper I've seen.

ive never had any of them before.

they seem small, what do they taste like, and what do they compare to in heat?

They are small(peppers), kinda smokey on the taste and they are around 100,000 SHU (low end habanero), also paquins are good too.

imaguitargod said:
They are small(peppers), kinda smokey on the taste and they are around 100,000 SHU (low end habanero), also paquins are good too.

do you cook them whole, like a caper? or slice them up?

i may try those, 100k is about what im going for. not much more

ross said:
do you cook them whole, like a caper? or slice them up?

i may try those, 100k is about what im going for. not much more
Whole, slicing is a little hard because they are about 1/2 inch to 1 inch long (tepins). I can send you some seeds if you want.

I harvested quite a few tepins and pequins so far this year and I really like them. The heat is strong but very different than habs, sort of hard to explain but a little goes a long way. I bought this peugeot chile grinder with a special pre-grinder designed for tiny chiles and it is just awesome although a little pricey. With this grinder, I'm actually getting curious people to try who otherwise wouldn't be tempted.

imaguitargod said:
Whole, slicing is a little hard because they are about 1/2 inch to 1 inch long (tepins). I can send you some seeds if you want.

ok let me ask you this....

if i want to grow a plant indoors, it doesnt matter when i start growing it right?

just so long as it has sun light in the day, it wont drop below what, 70-72 in my house. am i correct in my assumption?

ross said:

if i want to grow a plant indoors, it doesnt matter when i start growing it right?

just so long as it has sun light in the day, it wont drop below what, 70-72 in my house. am i correct in my assumption?
"When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me."
Well, in this case that's not true. You assume correct! (On a side not, that saying never made senese, how does someone's ignoragnce in assuming something actually make me and ass?)

Like I said, if you want to start you tepins and/or pequins indoors this winter. Just PM me and I'll send you some seeds to get you started.

Indoors growing can be fun over the winter because when you bring them out in the spring and it's still semi-cold, the plants will think that they are second year plants and grow as if they were too.

Last year I started out some Habs at about late october. The REALLY cold "winter" weather started up in December (remember, I live in Los Angeles) and they went into their winter funk. Come the spring tehy were all "OH! I'm up and I'm 2 years old now!" when they were actually not even 1 year old!

I've done this with other plants too! For knowing soooo much, plants can be kinda stupid sometimes. :)

ross said:

If you want to grow this plant for peppers you'll probably need to use some artificial light but if you just want it to survive until spring then sunlight should be alright.

POTAWIE said:
If you want to grow this plant for peppers you'll probably need to use some artificial light but if you just want it to survive until spring then sunlight should be alright.

hm the over head lights in my room are florescent, and i do have a pole lamp that i can put florescent bulbs into. think that would work?

while in college, i never experimented with indoor growing (ahem) but some friends did, but they had some rather elaborate setups...

ross said:
hm the over head lights in my room are florescent, and i do have a pole lamp that i can put florescent bulbs into. think that would work?

while in college, i never experimented with indoor growing (ahem) but some friends did, but they had some rather elaborate setups...
I've done some indoor growing (read: pot, carnivorous plants, flowers). I'll post some stuff tomarrow on this.

Tepins are a great plant to grow inside because they are really hard to kill and will take all kinds of inattention.

In Mexico, the tepin flavor is described as "'arrebatado', an expression that means 'although it is extremely hot the sensation dissappears easily and rapidly."'

Picante.....smoky.....it is a pretty distinct tase and unlike lots of other chiles.

They are the one chile that I know that is as picante green as ripe

I dry them and keep them in a jar on the table and crush them on my food like the Mexicans. Remember to wash your hands after dinner.....

Back