• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Suggestions for pruning avocado tree.

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
Just bought this hass avocado tree and have a question regarding pruning this thing. I want to top this thing at the red line in the picture because above that red line is just all lateral growth and I want to encourage it to bush out more. Is this ok to do? And if so, is this the right time of year to do it? I live in southern California zone 9b. I've looked all over online and every site seems to say something different. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Attachments

• 20200101_150223.jpg
    20200101_150223.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 122
I am not an expert on Avocado's.  I live in Panama and do have an avocado tree that I planted about 7.5 years ago.  I had it in a pot for the first 18 months and I kept it in partial shade at first since the sun scalds the new tree's.  My tree did produce avocado's 2 years ago.  I have been very lucky with this tree.  I also pruned the tree after it was planted in the ground 6 years ago.  I did the same thing you want to do.  I topped it.  At about the same height.  The tree is very wide now.  As the tree grows you are going to have to prune more.  My tree is now quite large and no where near finished growing.  Probably 30 feet high and at least as wide.  If you do not prune the tree's can get very tall.

Is the tree in the foto in a pot?  I hope you didn't plant this tree right against the house.  The tree needs to be out in the yard away from the house.   They grow fast and also they get real big.

Glen_ said:

Is the tree in the foto in a pot?  I hope you didn't plant this tree right against the house.  The tree needs to be out in the yard away from the house.   They grow fast and also they get real big.
Thanks for the reply. Yes it's in a 15 gallon pot right now. I plan on putting in in something larger like a 25g in the backyard. I rent this house so I dont want to plant in the ground in case I ever leave so the plan is to keep it in a large pot and prune to keep it on the smaller side.

I think what I would do is top it.  Continue pruning later.  You probably are going to need to get it transplanted into a larger pot in the next year or so.  You can probably keep the tree pruned until you can get the tree into its permanent home.  Watch it for sun scald.  An Avocado is an under-story tree in the jungle.  They need indirect sun while they are juvenile's.  I wish you luck with the tree.  I started out with 2 and one died.  As it turned out, I am glad one died since they get so large that I would not have had enough room for both.  Avocado's are not easy to grow actually.  They need proper care.  Fertilizer and irrigation.  And, they like a lot of water.  I am very proud of my tree in the back yard and it is beginning to bloom this year.  Last year my tree did not bloom.  Several years the tree bloomed but did not produce fruit.  The one year the tree did produce fruit they were very large and very high quality.  Very lucky because the tree is seed grown.  Many seed grown tree's never produce.

Glen_ said:
I think what I would do is top it.  Continue pruning later.  You probably are going to need to get it transplanted into a larger pot in the next year or so.  You can probably keep the tree pruned until you can get the tree into its permanent home.  Watch it for sun scald.  An Avocado is an under-story tree in the jungle.  They need indirect sun while they are juvenile's.  I wish you luck with the tree.  I started out with 2 and one died.  As it turned out, I am glad one died since they get so large that I would not have had enough room for both.  Avocado's are not easy to grow actually.  They need proper care.  Fertilizer and irrigation.  And, they like a lot of water.  I am very proud of my tree in the back yard and it is beginning to bloom this year.  Last year my tree did not bloom.  Several years the tree bloomed but did not produce fruit.  The one year the tree did produce fruit they were very large and very high quality.  Very lucky because the tree is seed grown.  Many seed grown tree's never produce.
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it does well for me. This is my first avocado tree. The Hass avocado was originally created very close to where I live so climate shouldn't be an issue

From what I've experienced, avocado trees are easy to shock. A couple winters ago I topped my tree and saw no fruit that summer. Last year, I didn't do anything and got a ton of fruit. I read a little and the suggestion is to prune gently and not drastically if you want fruit every year. However, if your tree is not yet fruiting, then topping it may be fine.

Lots of avocados this year!
48821376387_2345023aeb_c.jpg

I have 8 different Avocado Trees growing in containers. I also have 25 other different types of fruit trees in my yard the majority in containers. Shape your trees however you desire for their shape. Every tree in my yard gets pruned every year some more than others. Most people never prune their citrus trees but I do and have been very successful. I have 15 different types/varieties of citrus in containers as well. So the short answer is if you want to prune and shape your tree then go ahead you will not hurt it and you will get lots of new growth and branches as a result. Best of luck.

Here is an old thread with my container trees I will try and update it with current pics

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/48102-4-new-trees-in-20-gal-containers/

I bought my current house this past summer. The previous owner never pruned any of the fruit trees including an avocado tree that he planted when he bought the house(approx 10-12 yrs ago). Now that avocado tree is about 18-20 ft tall and looks like a bean pole leaning toward the southern sun. The only saving grace of it is it produced heavily and is ready to harvest. I have already pulled about 20 off for family, friends, and myself and I am sure there are still well over a hundred left. The average one weighs about 1 1/4 pound.

AD3AC7BF-D172-4ADC-B4B5-822471D6DA0D.jpeg

skullbiker said:
I bought my current house this past summer. The previous owner never pruned any of the fruit trees including an avocado tree that he planted when he bought the house(approx 10-12 yrs ago). Now that avocado tree is about 18-20 ft tall and looks like a bean pole leaning toward the southern sun. The only saving grace of it is it produced heavily and is ready to harvest. I have already pulled about 20 off for family, friends, and myself and I am sure there are still well over a hundred left. The average one weighs about 1 1/4 pound.

attachicon.gif
AD3AC7BF-D172-4ADC-B4B5-822471D6DA0D.jpeg
I'm jealous :)

I'm going to transplant 2 of my container avocados today into the ground. I will be keeping them at a max of 10 feet. 

Now I have my Fuerte, Bacon and Stewart in the ground and my Mexicola and Pinkerton in my 8x4x3foot deep raised Bed. I'm going to acquire a Gem, D'Aurturo and Reed next month. I will grow them in wine barrels the first year and transplant them into the ground. 

So far I'm not seeing any signs of transplant shock with my avocado trees. Knock on wood .

Back