suggestions please

ok well i recently aquired a few 55 gallon drums for free. there closed top food grade. now here is a few questions. i want the 55 gallon drum to be my main smoke chamber, with an offset fire box. but what should i use for the acual fire box. i thought about using two 55 gallon drums andjust offsetting them, but it would look "tacky" and i really would like a 20 gallon steel drum for it but for some reason there way way moreexpensive than a 55 gallon drum..(more wasted metal probly) any way any suggestions would help. and by the way, i am wanting to have the side by side offset and could use a few pointers all around. mainly how big the fire box hole to smoke chamber ratio should be for good smoke and heat. thanksalot guys cody kerr.

here are a few pics I found on the internet to give ya an idea....

ddowell1.jpg

bigbaby.gif
here is the site for it http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/build_big_baby_metal_bbq_pit.shtml

quick search on my Q forums brought me these

2009_05080001-1-1.jpg

DSCF1175.jpg

my friends smoker, he just put an old side firebox on it

img1918wg5.jpg

IMHO while these smokers are great to look at, they are very ineffecient as far as fuel consumption goes.. i have had 55 gallon drums w/side fire boxes and quickly came to the conclusion that they were expensive to use and didnt hold up structurally(sp) when i used them for stick burners...

build yourself a UDS or 3 and you will see how great they really are. easy to use,efficient and a require very little to build..

There are plans for big bertha and parts needed thats the top and bottom drums. You just need to generate a lot of heat in the lower barrel to get the top to temp. I created one before using an old gas grill frame to hold my 55g drum and bought a 30g drum and used hvac pipe fittings to connect the two using damper valves on the stack and as an air draft that you would use for hvac. Home Depot and Lowes sell these items. you can get a flat piece of steel for the top of the 30g barrel to load it. Just make sure you have a grate lower so the spent coals can fall. the only bitch was cleaning the "firebox" side.
I have seen one from Lincoln welders with plans but that is for a single barrel and direct indirect grilling. They are fun to make and you can be proud to say you built one.

but IMOP its easier in the long run to buy one for 200 --

Back