• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sulfur or not?

This is my first time growing peppers. I have Tabasco, Holy Mole, Scotch Bonnets, Bishop's Crowns, Habs, Trinidad 7 Pot and the mighty Ghost in my gardens and in 5 gal. drums. For soil I mixed some black compost top soil with chickadee doo doo along with perlite and bone marrow. Once that set I transplanted my 6 inch plants. I have read from Pepper Joe and a couple of other growers that they use sulfer. Today I went to the local shop and picked up sulfur in a powder form and sprinkled it around the base of my plants. Then I read on the packaging in fine print Not to be used on commercial plants or veggies. Also, a gentleman on this site said that it removed all the nutrients from the soil and I will have to add all new nutrients. Soooo, what is the real deal here. I wanted to give my plants a good shot of sulfur to boost them along and now I am nervous that I ruined the soil. Did I really ruin the soil and can I enjoy my peppers when it is time to harvest. What experiences have you had with Sulfur? Anybody? Buler?

Thanks

Trout Bum

all I know is here in FL we have sulfur in the ground water, this pdf file does not say anything about your worries. GL http://www.soil.ncsu.edu/publications/Soilfacts/AG-439-15_Archived/AG-439-15.pdf

Sulfur is recommended here to help lower pH levels in our highly alkaline clay soil. There is some danger in overdoing it, as with any amendment, but other than that none of the local "experts" I consulted had anything bad to say about it. Recco was to apply, then retest pH at least a month later.

Back