• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Summer Squash

I haven't grown any squash in years. I remember not being able to keep up them . Ending up with squash as large as logs . For 2 people is 1 plant enough to get some to eat several times a week ?

Peace & Thanks ,
P.Dreadie

I would do two that would give you enough for a couple of times the good thing with them they stay fresh for a decent amount of time off the vine too. Someone who grows summer squash ends up with plenty of friends by the end of season ;)

FWIW - We grew Butternut squash last year as well those are quite tastey on the grill

Thanks .... I'll try just 2 ... but if I end up with a bunch of huge one's .... I'm sending 'em to you guys :rolleyes: As I remember it people quickly didn't want anymore .....

Some larger ones I like to stuff them Cut them in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds, then fill them with a hamburger, Italian sausage bread crumb filling, pour some tomato sauce over it with some mozzarella & Parmesan cheese on them and bake but, if it's dark yellow or starting to turn orange or green, then it's definitely unfit to cook (it will never get tender, and the flavor will be very bitter). If you are looking to have them a couple times during the week they shouldnt get to big. I know there is always that one where all of a sudden you pull back a leaf and there is a Yellow Anaconda staring at ya :)

Some larger ones I like to stuff them Cut them in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds, then fill them with a hamburger, Italian sausage bread crumb filling, pour some tomato sauce over it with some mozzarella & Parmesan cheese on them and bake.
Yes! We love these zukes when they get as large as bats. But there are other summer squash besides zukes. I love yellow crookneck, too. And if you can't find a home for your squash, just remove the seeds and shred into 2 cup portions and make bread or yummy brownies. There are lots of recipes on the internet.

One of my older sons brought home a ginormous one last year. Dh said it was too big to taste good. I cut it up and froze the chunks for my worms-- that will poop for my peppers. Needless to say I am growing some this summer (winter squash, pumpkins & gourds) if we can't eat it or give it away it goes to the worms. No guilt for wasting food. Haha

Michelle

Back