• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Suntan vs sunburn in seedlings?

I made a post about how my seedlings (no true leaves yet) are purplish in the leaves.
How can I tell if they start getting burned and since they grow outside with 4 seedlings in one pot in direct sunlight all day, how much should I water them? P.s. They are almost 2 weeks olds and one is almost a week old.

I think they will be fine, if they are two weeks old. Just be patient. If they were sunburnt with only starter leaves I think they would be dead.

suntan = red or purple pigment in leaves

sunburn = gray or tan areas on leaves where leaf tissue looks thin and dried out

Water them only when the soil starts to dry out and the pot feels light.

Wait until they look like they are starting to ever so slightly droop from soil dryness then water slowly, deeply, until it just starts to come out the bottom of the pot... then repeat.

Burning is more often an issue when seedlings are started inside under artificial lighting.  Sprouts that start outside harden themselves as they grow in all but the most severe sun.  If Oakville is the Oakville in California then it "might" get that bad at the peak of summer, but if it's in Canada you would rarely ever see sun that damaging to sprouts started outside.

Dave2000 said:
Wait until they look like they are starting to ever so slightly droop from soil dryness then water slowly, deeply, until it just starts to come out the bottom of the pot... then repeat.

Burning is more often an issue when seedlings are started inside under artificial lighting.  Sprouts that start outside harden themselves as they grow in all but the most severe sun.  If Oakville is the Oakville in California then it "might" get that bad at the peak of summer, but if it's in Canada you would rarely ever see sun that damaging to sprouts started outside.
I'm lucky I'm in canada!
Here's how they look today(it's just cloudy today)
2iuv0aw.jpg

Back