• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Super-hots College Speech

Hey chili folks,

I did an informative/demonstrative speech on super-hots for my Com131: Public Speaking class. I had a peer record the video (linked below) so that more can view, critique, and/or know what I did.

I'm by no means a big chili-head, as I started eating peppers a couple months ago (May/June-ish). So let me know if I got some details mixed up, confused, or completely misunderstood.

I'd like to thank AJ Drew for providing me with the peppers, as they've proven to be noticeably hotter than the peppers I've tried elsewhere. I'd say his Orange Habanero felt at least twice as hot as a store-bought Orange Habanero.

In this video, I say that I ate a Trinidad Perfume in the beginning, but I meant to say a Trinidad Bean. I acknowledge that Trinidad Perfumes aren't hot, whereas Trinidad Beans are up there with Habaneros.

(Video is a little quiet, so if you can't hear it, turn up the hea-- volume.)
In the vid, I ate a whole Trinidad Bean, a whole Orange Habanero, about a quarter of the Chocolate Habanero (with placenta), and a quarter (in between 1/5th to 1/4th) of the Devil's Brain (with placenta), before finishing with a whole Carolina Reaper. All pods I ate were provided by AJ Drew.

After the Carolina Reaper, I stayed behind class for a good 10 minutes or so slowly pounding through half-a-gallon of milk, graham crackers with cheese, and a few honey sticks. I didn't vomit! Luckily, I got excused from my next class.

Here are some pics of the preview plates I took to class. I don't have pictures of the samples (Trinidad Perfume, Sugar Rush Cream - homegrown, Chocolate Habanero, Devil's Brain). Aside from the Bell Pepper, Jalapeno, Sugar Rush Cream, Aji White Fantasy, and (this particular) Orange Habanero, and the Bleeding Borg 9, all other peppers were provided by AJ Drew.
Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/uOqHc

The sample plates were: A whole pod, a half pod (with the placenta in), most of the other half's placenta and seeds out (for preview), and the placenta-less half was cut into 10 even slices and put on toothpicks. In spare plate space, I wrote down the pepper's name, Scoville rating, and the family it belongs to.

Very cool video, man! Next time, you should ask for a brave volunteer to come up and eat them with you! ;) Hopefully you were able to get a few people as interested in this hobby as we all are. Great job

Lekoi said:
The sample plates were: A whole pod, a half pod (with the placenta in), most of the other half's placenta and seeds out (for preview), and the placenta-less half was cut into 10 even slices and put on toothpicks
Anybody in the class try any samples?

MikeUSMC said:
Very cool video, man! Next time, you should ask for a brave volunteer to come up and eat them with you! ;) Hopefully you were able to get a few people as interested in this hobby as we all are. Great job

Anybody in the class try any samples?

Thanks! After class, a few people stuck around to get more specifics and to see if I was OK from the Carolina Reaper -- I think the class was interested.

The sample plates were nearly gone by the time the speech ended, and the guy holding the camera took the little leftovers & half-pods with, "I've gotta get someone to eat this."

Nice topic!  I imagine it was fairly interesting to the class, even if they aren't familiar with anything beyond a ballpark jalapeno.  To be near the "world's hottest pepper" makes for something you don't encounter every day.   :clap:

Back