• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Super Late Superhots

Ok, here's the deal with this Glog, I have been growing peppers for years, but not very successfully.  I often have not had as much space as I would like for peppers and this year is no different.  Also, as the title says, I am starting super late (04/18/2019), I would normally germinate in December and have moved them outdoors by now.

So with too little space, not enough free time, and no irrigation set up, let me introduce my

2019 Grow List (Seed Source - Year Harvested)

Carolina Reaper (Sonoran Spice - 2019)
Fatalii (Seed Saver's Exchange - 2017)
Scotch Bonnet - Foodarama Red (White Hot Peppers - 2017)
Scotch Bonnet - TFM (White Hot Peppers - 2017)
Jay's Peach Scorpion (White Hot Peppers - 2017)
7 Pot - White (White Hot Peppers - 2017)
7 Pot Brain Strain - Red (White Hot Peppers - 2017)
Big Black Mama (White Hot Peppers - 2017)
Paper Lantern (mlittle74 2017)
Thai - Prik Kee Noo (Spork 2017)
Golden Habanero (Spork 2017)

Most of the seeds are 2017... this is because despite starting ~70 seedlings last year, I did not succeed in getting them in the ground. I brought them outdoors to harden off and promptly forgot about them during some very warm weather.
One thing I did last year was experiment with cuttings and the results were fantastic. This is something I may still look into for this year.

To get started, I did 12 hours in the refrigerator followed by a 12 hour chamomile tea soak, then planted them out in a 6x12 seed starter dome with a heat mat set at 85*F.
It seems like my heater is really lax on temperature, or there is a huge amount of hysteresis caused by the volume of water vs the power rating of the heater. Either way setting it to 85 means that sometimes it will climb above 87. In my experience this is not dangerous for pepper seeds.
GLOG_20190418.jpg

Hi Matt,

Yes, we have a very long pepper season in zone 10a, because we rarely get frost. We had about 12 days where the lows were in frost temperatures this year, and they were not continuous, so the soil probably never went below 50*F.

I have 5 pepper plants still growing outdoors that I planted in May 2015!

Edit: Typo, not a 5 pepper plants. It should have said about 5 pepper plants, but I counted and it is exactly 5.

Uncle_Eccoli,

If I get around to taking cuttings again this year, I will document it in its own post. Right now, my outdoor plants are all woody looking with minimal new growth and I don't have any new plants at the moment.

First, I highly recommend Khang Starr's youtube video on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abESlZF-Z7g

Second, I definitely recommend using rooting hormone, I had much better success with than without. I am currently using a bottle of Garden Safe TakeRoot that I bought at the hardware store for about $5 -- I only use this brand out of convenience, but it has worked well, and the tiny 2oz bottle seems like it will last me forever.

Side note: The rooting hormone I use is 99.9% (56 grams) Talc and 0.01% (0.5 grams) Indole-3-butytic acid, also called IBA-K. If you were doing a ton of propagation or just like a science experiment, there are plenty of places to purchase IBA-K in pure form at prices around $1.50/gram and talc (talcum powder) for around $0.08/gram.

The basics are simple:
  • Choose branch(es) to clone from that have a leaf or two. (I prefer to pick one with relatively new growth, where the branch is still green and has and has some smaller leaves, between 1-2")
  • Prep container(s) that are large enough to hold your branch(es) by adding a moistened potting medium  (I have used plain water, soil, and Rapid Rooters with success)
  • Use a clean, sharp knife to cut an angle just below a node. 45* works fine.
  • Immediately after cutting, dip the cut end in rooting hormone and place into growing medium.
  • Prune back any extra leaves, 2-3 are plenty.
  • Wait for a long time. (Seriously, it will take 2-3 weeks before rooting occurs, even longer than starting from seed)

Cutting started January 15, 2018
(No Photo, sorry)

Transplanted February 8, 2018
THP_20180208_x.jpg

Flowering on March 18, 2018
THP_20180318_x.jpg

PaulG, 
Thank you!
I have enjoyed reading your Glogs over the years and am impressed by the sheer volume of high-quality content you have added to this site. One of these years I'll have a crop that goes all the way and produces some serious pods.

Cloning came naturally to me, I consider myself a scientist and that was right up my alley. 

Honestly my biggest hurdle has been dealing with pests followed by keeping up with watering during the really hot parts of the summer. I have been dreaming of installing an irrigation system for years, but haven't had the time or funds to do it yet.
Some day, right?

BigCedar said:
I'm guilty of a late start as well, you'll fare better than I will in California I'm sure! How long is your outdoor season out of curiosity? Those cuttings are cool, your list looks great best of luck with your grow! 

I was intending to start a little later than usual this year, but more in the February time frame, not April.

The outdoor season for peppers varies widely throughout the state, but my particular region is basically year round. The only time that is not recommended for starting peppers is from June to August, and that is only because it is too hot to start new plants outdoors. -- I will add that I am reluctant to plant them outdoors in January and February because of the "cold" but I'm guessing that people with real weather would tell me what for.

Spork said:
Uncle_Eccoli,

If I get around to taking cuttings again this year, I will document it in its own post. Right now, my outdoor plants are all woody looking with minimal new growth and I don't have any new plants at the moment.
First, I highly recommend Khang Starr's youtube video on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abESlZF-Z7g

Second, I definitely recommend using rooting hormone, I had much better success with than without. I am currently using a bottle of Garden Safe TakeRoot that I bought at the hardware store for about $5 -- I only use this brand out of convenience, but it has worked well, and the tiny 2oz bottle seems like it will last me forever.

Side note: The rooting hormone I use is 99.9% (56 grams) Talc and 0.01% (0.5 grams) Indole-3-butytic acid, also called IBA-K. If you were doing a ton of propagation or just like a science experiment, there are plenty of places to purchase IBA-K in pure form at prices around $1.50/gram and talc (talcum powder) for around $0.08/gram.

The basics are simple:
  • Choose branch(es) to clone from that have a leaf or two. (I prefer to pick one with relatively new growth, where the branch is still green and has and has some smaller leaves, between 1-2")
  • Prep container(s) that are large enough to hold your branch(es) by adding a moistened potting medium  (I have used plain water, soil, and Rapid Rooters with success)
  • Use a clean, sharp knife to cut an angle just below a node. 45* works fine.
  • Immediately after cutting, dip the cut end in rooting hormone and place into growing medium.
  • Prune back any extra leaves, 2-3 are plenty.
  • Wait for a long time. (Seriously, it will take 2-3 weeks before rooting occurs, even longer than starting from seed)

Thanks very much!  Ordered me some root powder.

Thanks for sticking with me in this late adventure. For now, I have a quick update for you:
I'll be counting days since they hit the RapidRooters, not since the soak, since the soak was technically the day before.

First peppers coming up at 4 days, bell peppers, you can kind of make out two of them here, but all four are hooking:
THP_20190422_2_x.jpg

Cucumbers and tomatoes doing quite well already "Planted" on 4/18/2019, so 4 days old today:
THP_20190422_1_x.jpg

That's all for now!

Edit: Can't count days apparently.

Day 6

Another quick update.It will be fun to look back at these and see the progress and I hope it gives us a good reference for how long it takes seeds to pop.

I am listing these by the cells, not by individual seed, as I can't see all the seeds.
Variety (Cells with seeds popped/Total cells of this variety)
Carolina Reaper (4/4)
Fatalii (1/4)
Scotch Bonnet - Foodarama Red (0/4)
Scotch Bonnet - TFM (1/3)
Jay's Peach Scorpion (0/4)
7 Pot - White (0/4)
7 Pot Brain Strain - Red (1/4)
Big Black Mama (0/4)
Paper Lantern (0/4)
Thai - Prik Kee Noo (1/4)
Golden Habanero (3/4)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga - Chocolate (1/4) --Just realized this is not on my original list, I'll have to fix it.

Bell peppers are all hooking nicely:
THP_20190424_1_x.jpg

And a few of the hot peppers are starting to pop:
THP_20190424_3_x.jpg

Also a few squash that I started at the same time as the peppers:
THP_20190424_4_x.jpg

Day 7

I am listing these by the cells, not by individual seed, as I can't see all the seeds.
Bold = Changed since yesterday

Carolina Reaper (4/4)
Fatalii (1/4)
Scotch Bonnet - Foodarama Red (3/4)
Jay's Peach Scorpion (1/4)
7 Pot - White (0/4)
7 Pot Brain Strain - Red (3/4)
Big Black Mama (0/4)
Paper Lantern (0/4)
Thai - Prik Kee Noo (4/4)
Golden Habanero (4/4)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga - Chocolate (2/4)

Day 8

Two pods on my 2015 thai pepper plant, and about 100 flowers and plenty of pollinators out there.
Plenty of green on my other 2015's, but no flowers yet.

Carolina Reaper (4/4)
Fatalii (2/4)
Scotch Bonnet - Foodarama Red (3/4)
Jay's Peach Scorpion (2/4)
7 Pot - White (0/4)
7 Pot Brain Strain - Red (3/4)
Big Black Mama (0/4)
Paper Lantern (2/4)
Golden Habanero (4/4)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga - Chocolate (2/4)

THP_20190426_1_x.jpg

Day 12

Decided to give you folks a few days off,  ;) but I'm back and so far so good on the seed starting.

Carolina Reaper (4/4)
Fatalii (3/4)
Scotch Bonnet - Foodarama Red (4/4)
Scotch Bonnet - TFM (2/3)
7 Pot - White (0/4)
7 Pot Brain Strain - Red (4/4)
Big Black Mama (3/4)
Paper Lantern (4/4)
Golden Habanero (4/4)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga - Chocolate (3/4)

What was I up to the few days I didn't post, you ask?
Well, I mixed up a batch of potting soil (1cu ft uncompressed Peat Moss : 1cu ft Perlite : 1.5 cups Jobe's organic vegetable fertilizer)
THP_20190427_1_x.jpg

Potted up a few  (about 20 peppers, plus cucumbers, squash, and tomatoes)
THP_20190430_1_x.jpg

This is what's left, planning to pot up tonight if I have time
THP_20190430_2_x.jpg

Day 16

I think this will about do it for sprouting. No luck on the 7pot white and only two of Jay's Peach Scorpion, but over all not bad! This lands me with 39 hot pepper plants in total. I also started 4 Bell Peppers that I didn't document here, so now I just need to find room for 43 plants. Not a bad problem to have.

Carolina Reaper (4/4)
Fatalii (4/4)
Scotch Bonnet - Foodarama Red (4/4)
Scotch Bonnet - TFM (2/3)
7 Pot - White (0/4)
7 Pot Brain Strain - Red (4/4)
Big Black Mama (3/4)
Paper Lantern (4/4)
Golden Habanero (4/4)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga - Chocolate (4/4)

I potted these up way earlier than needed, basically just to get the seedlings out of the humidity dome. I am hoping that by rushing them along I'll get them in the ground before the weather gets too hot! It is supposed to rain this week, but then start into the 80's and only climb from there. I've now got my first set of true leaves starting to form on about 75% of them.

In starting these, a few mutants have appeared...

TFM Scotch Bonnet
THP_20190504_2_x.jpg

7 Pot Brain Strain Red
THP_20190504_3_x.jpg

Foodarama Scotch Bonnet - Red
THP_20190504_1_x.jpg

Day 29

In a strange turn of events, I had two more peppers pop:

Scotch Bonnet - TFM (3/3)
Jay's Peach Scorpion (3/4)

Now they're looking like this:                                     (yes this is an ugly zucchini plant over here v)

20190517_191825_x.jpg

20190517_191809_x.jpg

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Thanks very much!  Ordered me some root powder.

You're welcome and please share any success you have with us, seeing your grow I think it would be great!

This definitely didn't get it's own post, but it got a 2 minute YouTube video, I find visualizing the process helps me. Fair warning, my video is not as good as Khang's.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhno9w401iI[/youtube]

Back