• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Superhot Leaf Comparison of Seedlings

I have taken pics of the "superhots" seedling leaves that I am growing. I am growing, Naga Morich, Dorset Naga, Bih Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia, Fatalii, Devils Tongue, Trinidad Scorpion, 7 Pod/Pot, and Tobago Seasoning (maybe not a superhot but included anyway).

I thought I would post for a "pictoral" comparason.

All seeds for the seedlings were planted 27 January 2008.

seedlingleaves1tf8.jpg

superhotleaves2oi3.jpg

By
Comments welcome........

Very nice documentation. I do see differences between leaves of some of the super hots. I've got some Bih Jolokia plants in my basement with leaves easily the size of my whole hand. Bhut Jolokias have unique "ragged" leaves (ones from CPI). Scorpion peppers have very large leaves too. Nagas not as much. That's my observation so far.

The Bih Jolokia leaves are fascinating.

Chris

Pam said:
What are you trying to do with the comparison?

there has been some discussion about the "closeness" of the varieties of Bhuts, Nagas, Dorsets, and Bihs. Just thought I would post some pics of each at 6 weeks age. Why?....I dunno....

AJ,

I noticed the stems more than the leaves. From what I have seen so far this year, most of the "superhots" seem to get more leggy than other peppers. I thought it might be the light, the soil, the water - except all the peppers have been treated the same. At least I can relate to it - we raised a variety of tobacco that grew way taller than other types with far more space between the leaves.

Mike

my bih didn't have the purply tinge around the end, should i be concerned? man, if i end up with jalapenos i'll be pissed. well at least mom'll have some peppers to eat.

GrumpyBear said:
my bih didn't have the purply tinge around the end, should i be concerned? man, if i end up with jalapenos i'll be pissed. well at least mom'll have some peppers to eat.

Cmpman...do your Bihs' have the purplish tinge around the leaf edges?

AJ my Tobago Seasoning leaves look a lot greener, is it just the light or not that make your leaves darker? I'm sure your Bih and Tobago Seasoning are just fine, just thought I'd ask though.

No, it is not the light, they are actually that purplish/green color. These straight from Trinidad...have only had the seeds probably 5 weeks...

I took these with my camera on 6X zoom because I have an issue with my Macro...I have to get a remote flash attachment...when I use the macro, there is a black shadow line that crosses the picture...it is because the macro blocks the flash.....as soon as I get the flash, I will take some much better pictures....

From what I've seen, the light is the cause for the color change.
Not a bad thing, though. all my best lit plants had it.

It is sunny here today and going to be in the low 70s F this afternoon. I will try and take some close up shots in the sun so the flash will not be an issue....

AlabamaJack said:
It is sunny here today and going to be in the low 70s F this afternoon. I will try and take some close up shots in the sun so the flash will not be an issue....
I'm not saying they're not really purple, or that the light is just making them look like they do.

Understand Omri...but I need to get a better photo...the light is not doing them justice...the leaves have really pretty shades of purple in them...

Aj purple leave and branch are normal dont worry ;) all my super hot have purple branch .....but if the leave stay purple it could be because you watering them to much !!

AlabamaJack said:
No, it is not the light, they are actually that purplish/green color. These straight from Trinidad...have only had the seeds probably 5 weeks...
Oh that might be it, you've got proper ones. Mine came from Austria :)

Omri said:
From what I've seen, the light is the cause for the color change.
Not a bad thing, though. all my best lit plants had it.

well i have no doubt in my mind that AJ has better lit plants then me so i think that explains it...

rainbowberry said:
Oh that might be it, you've got proper ones. Mine came from Austria :)
Under what light source are you growing them?
I had the same type of plants, from the same source. The ones under poor winter sunlight stayed green, and the ones under bulbs turned purple.

EDIT:
GB, he sure has. the plants are getting first class care.

Back