• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Superhot noob

Hi guys. So I'm new to growing chillies, this will be my third year at growing. Despite living in the cold damp west of Scotland I attempted to grow my first superhot last year, the summer weather was terrible and I never managed to grow a single Dorset Naga from my plant. I overwintered it and I've got 2 ripe pods so far! Learned ALOT from last year.
My question is, what's the easiest to grow superhot. I've read the Fatalli is quite prolific but I'd like to go hotter. Does the poor weather scunner my chances?

i am not sure which super hot would be good for you in your current area, but i can say that a greenhouse would make it easy to grow any super hot you want, maybe some one in your area of the world with roughly the same weather can chime in here.

Can you describe your growing season more? :)

Where I am at of all my superhots the Moruga Scorpion is doing the best. Followed by Yellow Brain Strain. I have a long growing season with summer temps consistently 100+

Our summers are very unpredictable, for example the past week has had gorgeous sunshine and temps of around 80, now the weathers changed and it's raining with temps of 60, looks to stay that way for the next week.
I live in a flat with a shared garden so a greenhouse is out, although I grow under lights for the winter and spring. Space is an issue again with that though.

If you guys have a shared garden and crummy weather perhaps you all should have a shared greenhouse ;)

How are other non-pepper plants growing in your summer? Yours and your roomies.

Spicy Mushroom said:
If you guys have a shared garden and crummy weather perhaps you all should have a shared greenhouse ;) How are other non-pepper plants growing in your summer? Yours and your roomies.
Well, it's me and my girlfriend (who's been very understanding about my hobby so far :P) in a tenement building. Kinda like an apartment building, with a shared garden between 8 other apartments. I'd love a greenhouse though! Other plants grow fine, my habaneros and bonnets are doing great so far, got 6 or 7 pods on the Hab already. My mum grows a lot of fruit in her garden, mostly stuff that thrives in our weather. Strawberries, blackberries, rhubarb etc. flowers like Roses and Poppy's grow like wildfire, plenty of bees!

If your Habs are doing well you might be able to grow some superhots as well! However they require a longer growing season than standard orange habs. That could be a problem. You could potentially bring them indoors later on to extend the season enough to get some ripe pods...

Yeah, I've managed 2 pods from the Naga so far, so I know it's doable. Humidity might be an issue here, I'm not too sure, and I've read that Bhuts and Nagas can be temperamental.
I'll persevere next season and try a bunch, I want to try some Cardi and Fatali for sure.
Thanks for the advice!

I've got some extra red & yellow fatalii and cardi seeds. If you need em lemme know. Little late to start em unless you're doing indoors :P

I'm growing lots of superhots this season I hadn't before. Not sure how they will do. My humidity is quite low here. I'll know in a couple months!

this guy is located closer to you than usa sellers. http://fatalii.net/

Really i haven't had much of a difference between superhot and habs as far as growing, same soil, same water, same sun, same environmental variables. They do take longer to ripen if that's what you mean? I think you should just plant some (any) and see. Dorset naga is a cross from your area of the world. 

fatalii has rating on his site that says the "challenge"(easy to grow 1) so just pick from those, brainstrain would be a good superhot on that list.

your weather isnt to far off from mine, it is down around 20c/ 68f or so and the past 2 weeks was up to 31c / 87f over night its been dropping down close to 10c 50f. . this past winter and spring the weather has been all over the place, and cant make up its mind, and my plants have been outside for just over a month with out any issue's so far, 

Spicy Mushroom said:
I've got some extra red & yellow fatalii and cardi seeds. If you need em lemme know. Little late to start em unless you're doing indoors :P

I'm growing lots of superhots this season I hadn't before. Not sure how they will do. My humidity is quite low here. I'll know in a couple months!
what part of Cali do you live spicy ?

I think you guys are completely right about them being two different plants, I gifted the smaller leaved plant to my dad along with a couple of others. The pods it's throwing out so far seem a bit strange to be a bonnet. It's a bit early to tell, but any ideas?
http://flic.kr/p/nS4tHj

That's what I get for saving seeds from supermarket chillies!

Dynebag said:
I think you guys are completely right about them being two different plants, I gifted the smaller leaved plant to my dad along with a couple of others. The pods it's throwing out so far seem a bit strange to be a bonnet. It's a bit early to tell, but any ideas?
http://flic.kr/p/nS4tHj

That's what I get for saving seeds from supermarket chillies!

I have used this company before and it is a bit closer to home for you

http://www.worldofchillies.com/chilli_seeds/worlds_hottest_chilli_seeds/worldshottestchilliseeds.html

I haven't purchased seeds from them, but I bought a few plants when they were reduced.

I ordered chocolate douglah, Butch T, Bhut Jolokia, Carolina reaper, Moruga scorpion, brain strain, fatalli and habanero 

There was a mix up with the first order as I received a jalapeno, serrano and a thai demon instead of three of the above. An email and the 3 that I didn't receive were sent in the post the next day plus a rocoto roja and a Caribbean antillais plant chucked in for free, so no complaints here.

If you do decide to get the plants (if there are still in stock) you will need to harden them up for a week with a few hours of sun each day (if we are lucky to get some sun that is :P )    

Back