• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Supermarket Bhuts

I've seen these in other posts, but now packaged Bhuts are making it to my local super market, about 8 peppers for $6.99.
IMG_20121113_220819-1.jpg

These are also new to the store:
IMG_20121113_220723.jpg

i have the melissa brand dried ghost peppers, when the package was opened you could tell they were heavily smoked. those red habs look a lot like bonnets. and not the good quality bonnets but the mass produced ones.

Yeah, but I guess it's an improvement over just having orange habs. The Bhuts are fresh and look fine, but $7 is just silly...

Grown in Europe:
IMG_20121113_220830.jpg

On rare occasion I can find some unripe habaneros at our local grocers but Nobody will carry reds or buhts.

Yeah, but I guess it's an improvement over just having orange habs. The Bhuts are fresh and look fine, but $7 is just silly...

Grown in Europe:
IMG_20121113_220830.jpg

The $7 is probably because of the import from Holland, can't imagine they couldn't find a cheaper source just in the US?

We import Bell Peppers from Holland, so maybe it's just a matter of throwing them in with the other peppers? Trade route and marketing channels already being established...

yeah i saw those in kroger in maricopa az about 2 months ago.. the grocer said he doesn't sell too many. at that price is it any wonder?

I noticed last week we had Ghost peppers at a local store they were like 5 bucks but didn't look all that fresh, i check again to see if there from the same place sometime this week.

I had bought Mellisas dried Bhuts last year and they were crazy hot---one tiny piece like the size of a couple pin heads lite up my mouth real good. They were $5 oz and had about 7-8 bhuts in the bag.

I put them in olive oil and the oil was exceptional in taste---smooth and not bitting with a nutty-smoky flavor----really excellent. I put some in water and I was able to cook with them and they came back real well.

Plus I saved the seeds and planted them but the seeds produced a wild type pepper---so they must have been hybridized.

All that said Mellisas brand seems to me a decent pepper---maybe not what we can raise but acceptable in a pinch. A buck a pepper is what I sell my Bhuts at farmer markets up here in Wisconsin so the price is high but not over the top.

We import Bell Peppers from Holland, so maybe it's just a matter of throwing them in with the other peppers? Trade route and marketing channels already being established...

Didn't know that but then it makes more sense yes. We can order online from one of the biggest growers here in Holland, 1kg (±2,2lbs) costs us $15, shipping not included. Jalapeno's are only $7 a kg.

I think importing peppers across the Atlantic is crazy but dosent suprize me curious to why Balac got wild lookin peppers from the seeds i uderstand hybrids and there advantages, but on bhuts? do you have any pics of the wild peppers would like to see em,,

I think importing peppers across the Atlantic is crazy but dosent suprize me curious to why Balac got wild lookin peppers from the seeds i uderstand hybrids and there advantages, but on bhuts? do you have any pics of the wild peppers would like to see em,,

I think The Netherlands just has it all set up already and the produce a lot of sweet peppers which we consume in the US. Well if you have a few extra hundred thousand dollars and have a buddy in the cargo business... should be doable...

Back