• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Supposed new hottest pepper.....

I have seeds for a 7 Pot Armageddon.  Same thing?

"However, the Armageddon – which currently reaches 1.3 million on the Scoville scale"

OK, but the current record is 1,641,183 SHU, The Armageddon has a ways to go to beat that. This reminds me of when the UK media was hyping the Komodo Dragon and Dragon's Breath peppers. Those seem to have fizzled and faded away when they didn't live up to the hype.

As I see it, 1.3M SHU makes the Armageddon just another superhot.

BlackFatalii said:
"However, the Armageddon which currently reaches 1.3 million on the Scoville scale"

OK, but the current record is 1,641,183 SHU, The Armageddon has a ways to go to beat that. This reminds me of when the UK media was hyping the Komodo Dragon and Dragon's Breath peppers. Those seem to have fizzled and faded away when they didn't live up to the hype.

As I see it, 1.3M SHU makes the Armageddon just another superhot.

That was my thought also. I don't usually buy in to all the hype of who's the hottest but seeing as I'd never heard of the Armageddon, I thought it was worth posting.

sirex said:
Probably tastes the rim of a dragons ass after a night of tequila shots in Panama City Beach during spring break.

Seriously though. I cant perceive the taste when they get that hot. Around Bhut level is when it all just tastes like pain to me.
People say this, but I can't imagine someone eating a ghost pepper and then eating a Reaper an hour later and claiming they tasted the same.

Eat the hottest there is and your brain won't panic over lesser pods.

Never really cared for supers until i tried a bhut plant last year. I ended up liking the flavor before the fire kicked in. Makes a great hot sauce too. I dont even give a hoot if my Reapers or Dragons Breath are the hottest. I got them just for the experience that comes from growing them.....and they do look pretty freaking nasty :P

As I see it, heat and flavor are two theoretically independent variables. Flavor is detected by your taste buds and it occurs whether you're burning up or not. "Heat," in terms of chiles, is just pain you're feeling in your nerve endings due to how they interpret the presence of capsaicinoids. If there's sufficient cap present, you'll feel the burn, regardless of how tasty (or nasty) the pepper's flavor is.

Now, that's all theoretical, bc like many ppl, I find a brutal SuperHot burn to be distracting; I can still taste the flavor of the thing when my mouth is ablaze, but I cannot savour it bc the sensation of pain eclipses my ability to analyze the pod's flavor. However, with the delayed rush of the peak burn, one can get a sense for a chile's flavor before the heat kicks in. That's half the reason why I'm into Supers; I think they taste so good before the burn begins, plus I tend to belch up some incredible flavors during the aftermath.

The other way that heat and flavor do intersect despite the theoretical separation of taste and pain sensation is that Capsaicin is bitter, so most heavy hittin peppers will have a lot of bitterness in the aftertaste.

I'm not big into the whole "world's hottest" thing, for a million reasons, but perhaps the most important factor is that I'm focusing on my own life experiences now. Just as my wife is the most beautiful woman in MY world, the hottest pepper I've ever eaten is still the Red Brainstrain. One way that my marriage and my garden differs is that I'm not always looking for a hotter woman than my wife, but I am absolutely looking for a hotter chile than the venerable Brainstrain. I guess the only real contender I'm growing this year is the 7 Douglah, as the Primo has already failed this year, much like how it did in 2018...

Regardless of that, i do think that the Brain tastes fantastic four the brief moment you can taste it without the distraction of the searing heat. So fruity, kinda sweet, treating like an elemental force-- but then the heat kicks in and destroys you, plus by then you're getting a smack of that high-cap bitterness on your pallet..

I always sample the bloom end of a pod first. I find it easier to get an idea of the flavor with less of the heat. In some pods the heat difference is massive vs getting part of the placenta in a bite.

Something i tried a few times now to estimate heat is i take a very small piece from the middle. Add that to 1 cup of chicken bone broth or stock. Heat it up a few minutes and let it steep for a few minutes then enjoy a cup of broth. Even a small piece of a JPGS was extremely noticeable. Probably hotter than any ramen mix i ever tried. If a piece the size of a finger nail heats up a cup of broth that much its a pretty damn hot pepper.

Absolutely great advice re: the tail/blossom end. Rich in flavor, but barely any cap or placenta down that far... So yeah, that's good advice.

And yes, JPGS is a pretty toasty pepper. A lot of heat on those...

Back