• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Supposed to be golden habanero...

This was supposed to be a golden habanero plant, but from the pod shape, it doesn't seem like that's the case.  I have no clue what I'm dealing with.

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/95319796@N02/9462070464/[/media]

talksnmaths said:
This was supposed to be a golden habanero plant, but from the pod shape, it doesn't seem like that's the case.  I have no clue what I'm dealing with.

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/95319796@N02/9462070464/[/media]
9462070464_447be68b0e_c.jpg

Not sure, reminds me of long habaneros I grew a few years back. 

I've seen some Habs to be longer like that. See what color they are when they ripen. I wonder if its some sort of Habalokia? Habs are usually thicker at the top of the pod then yours are.

What about the plant makes you believe that it's an Annuum?  I'm not doubting you, I would just like to know for my own education.

Well, I have it growing right next to a Bhut Jalokia, but from my understand, cross pollination would only affect any plants grown from the resultant seeds.

the Cylex(where the stem meets the pod and caps over) is a little large for it to be a hab, if i had a second guess it would be a baccatum, but not a a chinense, but which one??

thanks your friend Joe

I'm anxious to see what color they turn when they ripen.  I'll repost when they do.

It's been a finicky plant to be sure, it's flowered far more prolifically than any of my other chillis, but it was dropping it's flowers for a long time before any pods finally took.  Now, it's pollinating very well, but dropping about 50% of the newly pollinated pods while leaving the others to grow.

I've been doing some research, and interestingly enough it appears that identification of a capsicum species by pod appearance is not possible.  The only means of identification is by the flowers they produce.  Since this plant does not have any spots on its flowers, and it is producing 2 or more flowers per node, it is, in fact, a chinense.

talksnmaths said:
I've been doing some research, and interestingly enough it appears that identification of a capsicum species by pod appearance is not possible.  The only means of identification is by the flowers they produce.  Since this plant does not have any spots on its flowers, and it is producing 2 or more flowers per node, it is, in fact, a chinense.
The growth habit of the plant is more straight and upright than the typical C.chinense. The C.chinense plants I've grown tend to have zigzaging in the branches. The leaves on your plant are smooth and more spear shaped and narrow than the typical C.chinense. An interspecies hybrid could produce multiple flowers per node.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
9462070464_447be68b0e_c.jpg

Not sure, reminds me of long habaneros I grew a few years back.
megahot said:
I've seen some Habs to be longer like that. See what color they are when they ripen. I wonder if its some sort of Habalokia? Habs are usually thicker at the top of the pod then yours are.
My thoughts are along the line of it being some orange Habanero offshoot that has longer pointer pods. I have a plant that tasted like orange Habanero but had this style of pointy pod.

Well, despite my doubting, it was definitely an orange habanero.  Those pods that you see there thickened up a bit as they grew.  The later developing pods were less elongated and pointy.  The pods turned their characteristic orange when ripe.  And when cutting one open and smelling, they had the classic habanero scent.  

Back