• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Supposed to be Habanero?

I've grown habaneros many times over the years, and I'd like to think I know what they look like.

Last time I grew them was 2010, where I ended up with about a 200-300 pepper harvest off two plants. I couldn't pick them fast enough. All the peppers off those plants were uniform, smooth-skinned and orange like you see when you look up pictures of habaneros.

These that I'm growing this year don't look like that.

IMG_20120711_164616.jpg

They're wrinkled and long with a tapered end. None have ripened yet so I don't know what color they turn...

Here's what the plants look like:
IMG_20120711_170955.jpg

IMG_20120711_171021.jpg

Are they bhut jolokias or something? Maybe a cross between a jolokia and a regular habanero? They're "World's Hottest Habanero" plants I got from Lowes, I got the exact same last time and they didn't look anything like this.

If I were to have to guess I would say Bhut and I will tell you why....the Bhut is still the "hottest pepper in the world" to a lot of folks even though we, as chiliheads know different....

So with that being said and them advertising it that way, it may well be a Bhut....

Went outside today to find this:

gp_small.jpg

I'm guessing its not a Bhut since Bhuts ripen to a red color? I could've let it ripen more but it DID change color :P. Its more yellow in real life, though it looks like it would've ripen more to an orange and possibly red?

I have the same pepper growing in my garden as well. I also got the plant from Lowe's when they got their first shipment from Bonnie's in. I am located in Ohio.

I can't wait for them to be ready to harvest!

Back