• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod SUPPOSED to be “Hot Banana”

Hey all. My first two peppers of the season ripened. These were supposed to be Bonnie hot bananas from a big box store. They looked like the wrong shape so I assumed they were just growing. But then they turned red and ripe. I wonder if this is a cross because my pepper varieties arent segregated - or is this just a mislabeled plant? For what its worth the one next to it has similar looking pods. The pods themselves are growing straight up from the canopy, not hanging on stems. It was hotter than an jalapeño, with moderate heat lasting ten minutes. Definitely not a superhot unless I am Christopher Reeves. Any ideas?

Dave

Attachments

• C8B025E0-89CC-4D1D-A573-131F8A4B7B75.jpeg
    C8B025E0-89CC-4D1D-A573-131F8A4B7B75.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 127
SIUCpilot said:
Hey all. My first two peppers of the season ripened. These were supposed to be Bonnie hot bananas from a big box store. They looked like the wrong shape so I assumed they were just growing. But then they turned red and ripe. I wonder if this is a cross because my pepper varieties arent segregated - or is this just a mislabeled plant? For what its worth the one next to it has similar looking pods. The pods themselves are growing straight up from the canopy, not hanging on stems. It was hotter than an jalapeño, with moderate heat lasting ten minutes. Definitely not a superhot unless I am Christopher Reeves. Any ideas?

Dave

Hi Dave & welcome to THP!

A few helpful hints...

Peppers are not crossed in their current grow season - the seeds started by Bonnie would have carried the cross (Extremely unlikely!) - it did not happen in your garden.. It is very likely mislabeled - most likely plant ID tag switched @ the big box store. My suggestion is to look through Bonnies pepper website >Click Here<. for the pepper in your garden. As the fruit is growing upright & not pendant, it should be easy to find. Make sure you stop back with your findings!

Back