• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Supposed to Be Scotch Bonnet

Bought these Scotch Bonnet seeds off of Amazon, won't do that again. I really don't think they are Scotch Bonnets. They don't look like traditional Scotch Bonnets, but I guess they still could be some other type, but I had some Reapers given to me and these are just as hot if not hotter. One small bite is way way too much heat for me, and Bonnets are supposed to be like habaneros which I can handle. What ever these peppers are I can't even handle a bite. So the two plants came from the same seeds but one is orange, and the other is red.

What are these bad boys?

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_130807599_1.jpg
    IMG_20200917_130807599_1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20200914_104907780_1.jpg
    IMG_20200914_104907780_1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20200914_104941428_1.jpg
    IMG_20200914_104941428_1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 114
Hard to tell.  They look to be Scorpions to me. My wild ass guess is Trinidad Moruga.  The yellow one looks classic TMSY.  The yellow one should be a tad milder than the red .... if that's what they are.  

Harry_Dangler said:
Hard to tell.  They look to be Scorpions to me. My wild ass guess is Trinidad Moruga.  The yellow one looks classic TMSY.  The yellow one should be a tad milder than the red .... if that's what they are.
I was wondering if they were scorpions but I didn't really look into it. Thanks to your post I'm almost certain that's what they are now. So thanks. They look exactly like the pictures that come up from Googling it. They aren't as bumpy as Reapers even though they are similar looking. Being scorpions explains the heat level too. Also, for the record the yellow looking ones are actually orange and I personally thought it was hotter than the red, but when it comes to being that hot it's kind of hard to tell for me. Anyway thanks for your help I'm pretty sure they're scorpions. Good to know.

Harry_Dangler said:
Second that.  I have grown these for the same time this year and that is how they look like.  The pods vary quite a bit each, but generally they are like that.  If your plant is very productive, I would say the yellow one is definitely a trinidad scorpion variant (likely moruga yellow).

Also a tell: I have 6 trinidad scorpion plants and they are all very tall (although the pots are small).  The plant is around 4 feet tall (1 meter 20ish) on 10 liter pots (about 2.x gallons).

Hope this helps bud.  I am also an amazon victim (lol?) this year with so called reaper seeds.  I may have to create an ID thread myself later lol

copper said:
Second that.  I have grown these for the same time this year and that is how they look like.  The pods vary quite a bit each, but generally they are like that.  If your plant is very productive, I would say the yellow one is definitely a trinidad scorpion variant (likely moruga yellow).

Also a tell: I have 6 trinidad scorpion plants and they are all very tall (although the pots are small).  The plant is around 4 feet tall (1 meter 20ish) on 10 liter pots (about 2.x gallons).

Hope this helps bud.  I am also an amazon victim (lol?) this year with so called reaper seeds.  I may have to create an ID thread myself later lol

I completely agree with you, I'm positive they are scorpions now. Yeah, hopefully they turn out to be a pepper you like. Ordering on Amazon is like a box of chocolates, I'm done with that. Too much time and work to turn out to be not what you wanted. Even though these peppers are way too hot for me to eat, I've been smoking them and then grinding them to use as seasoning and that has been a success. I can add as much or as little as I want to what ever I'm cooking so it works out well.

aaront596 said:
I completely agree with you, I'm positive they are scorpions now. Yeah, hopefully they turn out to be a pepper you like. Ordering on Amazon is like a box of chocolates, I'm done with that. Too much time and work to turn out to be not what you wanted. Even though these peppers are way too hot for me to eat, I've been smoking them and then grinding them to use as seasoning and that has been a success. I can add as much or as little as I want to what ever I'm cooking so it works out well.
These yellow scorpions are wonderful aroma peppers with a world class punch.  Just use a little bit since the heat rivals record holders, but definitely a wonderful pepper in my opinion.  They smell to me like pineapple with orange.  I know it is subjective, but it's hard to imagine a better aroma at this heat level.  Mines are all yellow to orange, so maybe the browns (chocolate lol) and reds are different.

In my case the seeds were labeled correctly, but I would celebrate having this variety if I got them by accident like in your case.  It's the only one this year that I will keep planting in the future. The only caveat is that they grow huge, so there needs to be space allocated for them.  I hear they can grow to 7 feet tall in the wild.

Yes, they should be huge plants ...they are wonderful ....  they grow to at least 6 feet in our raised beds.  We grow the yellows every year.  We like to make an infused dipping oil for pizza and bread .... etc.  We also like to the drizzle on grilled chicken. 

Back