• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Sure Getting Antsy and Restless to Plant My Seeds

Not having had a garden in the last 17 years (lived in Austin TX with 2" of sand on top of limestone and granite), and having never grown my own peppers, I am getting a bit impatient to plant my seeds.

Here in 5a I cannot safely transplant to garden until May 30. Don't think I should start the seedlings much/any before the eight week mark, ought I?

Somewhere, I read that the hot peppers maybe would be better about 9-10 weeks ahead of garden plant. I believe it said they they are a bit slower to germinate than sweets and tomatoes.

???????

Not having had a garden in the last 17 years (lived in Austin TX with 2" of sand on top of limestone and granite), and having never grown my own peppers, I am getting a bit impatient to plant my seeds.

Here in 5a I cannot safely transplant to garden until May 30. Don't think I should start the seedlings much/any before the eight week mark, ought I?

Somewhere, I read that the hot peppers maybe would be better about 9-10 weeks ahead of garden plant. I believe it said they they are a bit slower to germinate than sweets and tomatoes.

???????

Definitely start them now 12 or more weeks can be OK it you have the room!

Never planted in those soil conditions, but it just doesn't sound healthy , maybe consider bucket or raised beds soil is everything.

If you spend any time here at all you will find way more issues below ground then above and the issues that are above ground, most can be traced to there feet! excluding bugs and fungus ect

+1 on what SC said. Certain species take longer than other. C.annuum typically germinate the quickest (jalapenos, cayennes, serrano, etc.) while others can take 8+ weeks.

Definitely start them now 12 or more weeks can be OK it you have the room!

When you say "if you have the room", I presume you mean room "under the lights" until garden transplant, correct?

I'm afraid that if my plants get too large prior to outside time, I would not have enough "under the light" space. My start up space only has two 4' lights, each covering about a 4'x1' shelf space. I've got plenty of pots, etc., just not enough lights maybe.......
My plan is to start the eight pepper varieties and about five tomato varieties at the same time in the tiny (72 spaces/tray). Then, pot up to 3x3 until garden transplant. I don't quite know how to calculate how many 3x3's will fit into a 1'x4'lighted area as I don't know how much they will bush out (I could get 12 of them in every square foot of space if they did not bush out terribly) - that would allow 96 3x3's under my current lights............

I'll sure use your advice..............if you think it will work

Sorry for the confusion,

I am now in MI - lots of good soil all tilled last Fall and ready for Spring.

Sorry for the confusion,

I am now in MI - lots of good soil all tilled last Fall and ready for Spring.

Guess I wasn't paying attention.!!!!

You plants will not be to big by planting time, I am just across the pond and started mine at the beginning of Feb.

SC

When you say "if you have the room", I presume you mean room "under the lights" until garden transplant, correct?

i think he means once they start germinating and you move the plants to larger containers they take up a lot more space and by the time your plants are ready for the out door garden their roots should have add some time to play in at least a 1 gallon container - though not necessary, it sure helps. for years i never used grow lights on my seedlings but that was mostly annuums and they sprouted and grew fast with low maintenance.

good luck and have fun growing.

I think definitely don't worry about a plant getting too big this time of the year. Worst comes to worst, you can just trim them down. Having fast growing, robust plants is definitely a great problem to have.

Back