• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

surprise!

So I was at a Korean market yesterday, looking for some unique peppers and sauces.... didnt know it was korean at the time, thought it was more japanese.... didnt find anything I was looking for, but these caught my eye from pretty far out.... really surprised me.... they had the standard jalapeno and serrano and some tiny orange habaneros.... dried Thai pods and these...
20131013_131920.jpg

And a tag for naga chilis but no product....
Havent tried them yet, gonna make a fermented sauce.... they have the same scent the butch ts I grew last year did.... since I spent so much time handling them and looking at them, figured I had to buy them.... it helped that my plant is still only about 4" tall and temps are starting to drop, so no harvest this year from it....

I thought so, too.... they didnt have the peppers ive been searching for that are localized to okinawa, and I'm sure that is one of the reasons my favorite resturant chain there isn't as hot here, they didnt have my favorite sodas from the area and they didnt have the snacks and candy from there, either.... finding these just made it worth the trip....

H mart in irvine.... took a trip out there to see if the coco curry place is the same as the chain in okinawa.... slightly different, they dint seem to offer the pork-based curry here kike I used to get in okinawa.... and it was nowhere near the same level of heat, and a different burn altogether....

rhm3769 said:
I thought so, too.... they didnt have the peppers ive been searching for that are localized to okinawa, and I'm sure that is one of the reasons my favorite resturant chain there isn't as hot here, they didnt have my favorite sodas from the area and they didnt have the snacks and candy from there, either.... finding these just made it worth the trip....
i think you sent me seeds that were from okanawa?? am i right??

please let me know

thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
i think you sent me seeds that were from okanawa?? am i right??

please let me know

thanks your friend Joe
Yeah, that was me. Its a mix of some japone-type and some local okinawan variety.... ive had success with them germinating this time around compared to last year, but ive had problems in my transferring from sprouting medium to ground....
The seeds I got from you in the trade have been the only thing so far to fruit and ripen....

rhm3769 said:
Yeah, that was me. Its a mix of some japone-type and some local okinawan variety.... ive had success with them germinating this time around compared to last year, but ive had problems in my transferring from sprouting medium to ground....
The seeds I got from you in the trade have been the only thing so far to fruit and ripen....
the one i have short stout cone shaped red pepper, would i be wrong to say this is Okanawa hot?, togaroshi is more like a Thai pepper am i right?

please let me know

thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
the one i have short stout cone shaped red pepper, would i be wrong to say this is Okanawa hot?, togaroshi is more like a Thai pepper am i right?

please let me know

thanks your friend Joe
Yep, that sounds right.... I don't know the name of the togarashi one, it was the only english on the package, ive been told it is japanese for pepper....

rhm3769 said:
Yep, that sounds right.... I don't know the name of the togarashi one, it was the only english on the package, ive been told it is japanese for pepper....
thanks Okanawa hot it is

your friend Joe

Very nice. Yours look a few days fresher than the packages I found. Considering they come from Holland they almost have to be indoor grown. So, maybe there will be a continuous supply through the winter? 

No idea.... but they are hot.... much hotter than the ones I grew last year.... but we had a lot of rain last year too....

The heat didnt last as long at a high intensity as mine last year, and almost immediate stomach pains with these.... it had a better taste than mine last year, as well.... tossed a sizable chunk of one in mh mouth while I was preparing them for a ferment.... considered saving one before I tested it and decided it would have been wasted if it wasnt in a sauce and now I'm regretting putting all of them in the sauce.... it seemed like a good idea to try it, immediately regretted the decision but I'm wanting more.... ive never been a whole pod person, everything goes to making sauces....
Makes me really curious how much more intense a whole pod is compared to something more than a sliver....

I got some cramps too. So did my brother-in-law. Neither of us has ever had cramps from any pepper. The burn didn't last nearly as long as I expected, only a minute or so at the face-melting level then back down to a tolerable level. No matter, we all thought the flavor was really good, and even with mild cramps still a day later we both want to go back for more.

Back