food Sweet and Heat Smoked Sausage Dinner

This Dutch Oven Camp recipe is very similar to a chuck wagon cowboy recipe called "Big Old Mess". Big Old Mess is very filling and easy to make. This is a very easy starter recipe for the beginning camp cook.

2nbdf5u.jpg

1 lb Smoked Sausage
1 Bell Pepper
1 Anaheim Pepper
1 Large Sweet Onion
1/4 tsp Hot Pepper Flakes
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce, Nothing Fancy
2 tbsp Hot Sauce
2 tbsp Cider Vinegar
Vegetable Oil

Serves two hearty appetites.

Cut the smoke sausage into 1" thick rounds and set aside. Cut onion and peppers into large bite size chunks and set aside. In a measuring cup add barbecue sauce, hot sauce, cider vinegar, brown sugar and hot pepper flakes. Stir well to desolve the brown sugar and set aside.

Brown sausages in a skillet. Add remaining and cover. Simmer on low for about an hour, stirring occasionally. After veggies are tender raise the heat and reduce the sauce till its nice and sticky.

Serve with tortillas. The hot peppers and hot sauce can be bumped up for the heat lovers and the cider vinegar is what gives it that little sour twang.

"Oh Boy" is this GOOD! Yum!

I hope you like it, This is staple for my gang on a camping trip.

So it's a camping recipe because you can bring the smoked sausage unrefrigerated, right? And all the other stuff too.

Cool. Sounds tasty.

Yep! I use the Smithfield Smoked sausage in the plastic wrap. Kielbasa works too. Just chuck it in the cooler.

Its a 1-2-3 meal with heat and tang.

Glad you like it.

Dan

Back