food Sweet "fall" chili

A little different from my usual cooking, but this one was to share so it couldn't be too hot. Basic recipe (measurements guesstimated) is as follows:
(since my coworker screwed this up when he read it, big T is tablespoon, little t is teaspoon :))

2 lbs lean ground beef
1 lb sweet (normally I'd go with hot) Italian Sausage
6-8 garlic cloves
2 medium onions
2 8 oz/1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 bottles (12 oz each) Dogfish Head Punkin Ale (or use your favorite Marzen/Oktoberfest)
3T chili powder
3T beef bouillon (I think that's about 8 cubes if you have that kind)
2T cumin
1T paprika
2t oregano
2t sugar
1t coriander
1t cinnamon
1t allspice
1/2t clove (ground)
2t unsweetened cocoa
1/2 bottle Louisiana style hot sauce (I used the last of my Cajun Heat Liquid Napalm)

Brown the meats
Add the garlic and onion and cook until they're starting to get tender
Add EVERYTHING else (yeah I don't do drops, all at once :))
At this point you may need to add water, you may not, eyeball it and see what you think, it mostly depends on how lean your beef is
Boil for 2-3 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 2-2.5 hours

That does sound good. Any pics? How much did it make? Sounds like very little tomatoes compared to what I am used to. And no chiles?

Hmmm as for how much it made, it fed 4 big eaters (along with some other stuff).

Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures, but it's browner than your average chili if that helps any.

I'm not a big tomato fan, so hence I just supplement with them, I don't feature them, and probably why it's a little browner (along with the cocoa). I use chili powder, sometimes anchos as well but I didn't have any available.

Back