• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Sweet pepper questions

So I've decided to grow three sweet pepper plants this year along side my chili plants but I have a question.

Are sweet peppers able to handle being left outside in pots on a patio like tomatoes during the warmer** months or do they do better being kept in a greenhouse??  

** I live in the UK and our summer climate is very variable, average day temps around 21C (70F) and nights 14C (57). However during drier spells days can get much warmer and so do the nights, but these spells seldom last more then 5 days.. rain is quite common.

Thanks in advance :)

That is the temps I am at for about 2 months or so when I am hardening them off. A little warmer and not to much cooler is fine. Most sweets are Annuums and grow and produce earlier then say a superhot. At least in my case they do well at those temps. Also most are smaller plants than some of the other species and you can use a smaller pot.

I have family in Essex and they plant right in the ground. Plant as you would, same as hot peppers. The problem I run into with the larger bell varieties is sunscald on the fruit. Annuums tend to have narrower leaves, during mid day the plants can appear to be dehydrated from the heat, humidity and the sun. The plants leaves will wilt causing excessive exposure to the sunlight. Blotching can occur on the fruit. I always pick up the nitrogen amounts when the fruit has set and growing. More foliage equals more shade. If available in your area search for shorter season varieties that produce from transplant in the 55 to 70 days to ripen. Good luck with the garden...

birdfather said:
why would anybody ever want a sweet pepper?  ;)
:D
pepperproblem said:
That is the temps I am at for about 2 months or so when I am hardening them off. A little warmer and not to much cooler is fine. Most sweets are Annuums and grow and produce earlier then say a superhot. At least in my case they do well at those temps. Also most are smaller plants than some of the other species and you can use a smaller pot.

Noah Yates said:
In my experience, sweet peppers (thick walled peppers) need more shade and a little more water.

Island_Dan said:
They should do fine outside. I plant them straight into the garden and they take off like crazy normally.

PIC 1 said:
I have family in Essex and they plant right in the ground. Plant as you would, same as hot peppers. The problem I run into with the larger bell varieties is sunscald on the fruit. Annuums tend to have narrower leaves, during mid day the plants can appear to be dehydrated from the heat, humidity and the sun. The plants leaves will wilt causing excessive exposure to the sunlight. Blotching can occur on the fruit. I always pick up the nitrogen amounts when the fruit has set and growing. More foliage equals more shade. If available in your area search for shorter season varieties that produce from transplant in the 55 to 70 days to ripen. Good luck with the garden...

One thing to be mindful is the difference in sun between the UK and most of the USA... Compared to us you folk have a sun strength ranging from Mediterranean to sub tropical... that's a massive amount more solar energy for the plants to use for growth. 

I wouldn't dare plant them in the ground as our climate here is so unpredictable.

Never heard of fast growing plants before.. but if they can do well in Essex then the should be fine in part od the country. :)

Back