• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sweet Rocotos?

As you can probably tell, I'm no extreme chili head, but I do like growing (and trying) mild pods. So that being said, have any of you guys heard of "sweet rocotos"? All of the rocotos (or any pepper of capsicum pubescens) I have grown and eaten are, unfortunately, too hot for my feeble palate. It'd be cool if a no/low heat rocoto existed. I like peppers on the more exotic side, but it's always the heat that kills me xD. 

The Rocoto Manz Amarillo I have, have a heat level of about a Jalapeno if your interested.

P1100214_Recoto-1500_zpsfkg1zd55.jpg

I have some brown roccotos that have a unknown origin. Maybe they are a mutation.

They were told me to have barely any heat.  I will find out if that is true next year :-).

dragonsfire said:
The Rocoto Manz Amarillo I have, have a heat level of about a Jalapeno if your interested.

P1100214_Recoto-1500_zpsfkg1zd55.jpg

I see white flowers. What you have is definitely not a rocoto. Rocotos have purple flowers.

Maybe what you have there is the Cheiro Roxa pepper.

Brooklyn_Ken said:

1. I see white flowers. What you have is definitely not a rocoto. Rocotos have purple flowers.

2. Maybe what you have there is the Cheiro Roxa pepper.

1. "Rocoto" peppers are members of C. pubescence, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens, The species name, pubescens, means hairy, which refers to the hairy leaves of this pepper. The hairiness of the leaves, along with the black seeds, distinguish this species from others. which this plant also does not display.

2. I'd say Cherio Roxa a good call.> http://www.superhotchiles.com/cheiroroxagallery.html

hogleg said:
Sounds like its already confirmed. But that pic is no manzano/rocoto or capsicum pubescens at all.

I was also very confused about the shape. But would have been very cool to have such a different roccoto..

Second vote for Pineapple Rocoto, but only heard this as well. Mine hasn't flowered yet. I can confirm the Costa Rican Yellow Rocoto is very sweet (thanks to Wicked Mike), not too much heat.

Sorry for resurrecting an ancient post, but are there any recent developments on this front? Everything I grow seems to get hotter than it's supposed to and none of my friends will try them any more.

I'm hoping my mini olive rocoto peppers next year will be shareable, but if not I'll need alternatives. Since I'm near the beach I can over winter easily and basically get a pepper tree eventually with rocotos.

Back