food Sweet & Spicy Pumpkin Seeds

I wanted to share a cool recipe that I found on the Net and I tweaked it for us Pepperheads :lol: and feel free to tweak it to your tastes as well.

1 egg white
1/4 cup natural cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon Chocolate Hab powder
1/4 teaspoon Bhut Jolokia Powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup cleaned pumpkin seeds

Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit. In medium bowl whisk the egg white, sugar and spices together. Add the pumpkin seeds and toss well. In a strainer, drain off any excess egg white and place seeds in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with a bit more sugar and pepper powder as soon as they come out of the oven. Taste and season with more salt to taste.

DSCF3590.jpg

Hope you all enjoy a Happy Halloween

Dunno....maybe to bind the sugar and spices.

I just made another batch but this time changed the recipe and omitted the egg white. I also used smaller amounts of sugar and powders. I simply placed sugar, salt and equal amounts of the above powders in a shaker bottle and sprinkled the seeds on the cookie sheet. IMO that they turned out better this way.

The egg white most likely was to bind the powdered items to the seeds. I wonder if you couldn't lay the seeds out on a pan, spray with a water bottle, then sprinkle the stuff on? The do look very tasty. Wish I had more pumpkin seeds laying around.

How did they turn out? Skip the egg white. Go for a nutty oil, like walnut oil. Toss them in walnut oil, then spice them up, then bake. Hit them with a little butter before they're done. Take out when golden brown, and lightly salt.

These seeds turned out ok...But, i made another batch where I just tossed with some olive oil and some pepper powder and sea salt. I liked them a lot better. You are right, skip the egg white.

thanks for the tip, I have three pumpkins in the garden for this fall...will definitely try this out if I can convince my wife!

They were great, but if I remember right, I liked the batch without the egg white. I also found by sprinkling a little olive oil on them and then powdering them prior to baking was an awesome improvement. Have fun and enjoy.

Hey Paul,

How the hell do you eat a pumpkin seed? Kinda like a sunflower seed?

Yeah....I don't get out too much!

:lol:

Uhm...you just pop them in your mouth and chew :lol:

Seriously though, after they are cooked they are crunchy and real tasty. Also, there is no mess like sunflower seeds.

You eat the whole thing, that is why I said it is less mess than sunflower seeds. They are good even roasted with just salt. They have a kind of nutty flavor. I can go through a whole pumpkin of seeds with some good beer.

I grew up on those bad boys. Just pumpkin seeds, butter, and cajun seasoning baked in a pan in the oven. I grow pumpkins for the seeds only. Any superhot powder would be fantastic on them. Very addicting and hard to get out of your teeth.

Back