• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Switching From Dry Reaper Pods to Fresh Reaper Peppers. Advice?

Hey!

So, has anyone ever shifted their recipe from using dry, dehydrated reaper pods to using fresh peppers?

I have a recipe that is very locked in, which uses reapers.  I have always had to use the dry pods, but now I have a fresh pepper supplier.  Any advice on making this transition? Should I use the same weight in the recipe?  Should I use less and keep taste testing until the heat is where it should be?

I have heard that the heat of 1 fresh pod is similar to 2/3 of a dehydrated pod.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Newks_Hot_Sauce said:
Hey!

So, has anyone ever shifted their recipe from using dry, dehydrated reaper pods to using fresh peppers?

I have a recipe that is very locked in, which uses reapers.  I have always had to use the dry pods, but now I have a fresh pepper supplier.  Any advice on making this transition? Should I use the same weight in the recipe?  Should I use less and keep taste testing until the heat is where it should be?

I have heard that the heat of 1 fresh pod is similar to 2/3 of a dehydrated pod.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

You will definitely need to adjust ratios. I don't actually know the numbers, but I think a fresh pod probably weighs same as 10 dry ones. Someone that knows what they are taking about will be here soon

Ya it definitely weighs something like that, I've decided in my cooking process today to continue using my dry pods until I get some more opinions or do more research here. Don't want to mess up a 100 bottle batch.  Thanks for the 2 cents, looking forward to hearing some more responses.

You can dehydrate and grind the fresh pods to use in your existing recipe. Also gives you the freedom to process when you want, not just when the pods are ripe.

Other than that, you will need to majorly rework the recipe. If it is an approved recipe for sale, that would be a major change and the recipe would probably need to be resubmitted and approved by the PA.

I would imagine 10 grams of fresh peppers would be equivalent to something like 1 gram of dried pepper. The fresh peppers would contain much more water than your original recipe.

Back