• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

synclinorium's 2015 Grow Log

Started a bit late this year so we'll see how it goes. Just spent the past 40 minutes trying to fix the broken on/off switch on my T5 fixture. $100 piece of equipment taken down by a 2 cent piece of plastic. :banghead:

All is well now, at least.

Not doing much heat this go around. I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm more of a pepper appreciator than a pepper lover, I grow them for the novelty factor more than anything. I ended up giving a lot away last year, still have tons of superhots in my freezer, think I might invest in a dehydrator this year.

Anyway, here's the preliminary list.

Overwinters:

2 x Aji Amarillo
capsicum baccatum 'Mini mini'
capsicum baccatum 'Bolivian small red'
capsicum chacoense 'Most prolific'
Chile del monte
Brain Strain Yellow x ? F1
2 x White habanero

Starts:
Cracked Jalapeno
Farmer's Jalapeno
Chile de Arbol
Tepin x ? F2
Pimenta de Neyde
Aji Panca
Datil
Trinidad Perfume
Malawi Piquante
capsicum rhomboideum
capsicum lanceolatum
capsicum galapagoense
cumari pollux

In the mail:
Dulce Marron (PL)
Stuffing Scotch Bonnet (PL)
Aji Oro Rocoto

Doing less hot varieties for the aforementioned reasons, and also because I'm using a friend's yard and they don't have nearly the heat tolerance I do, I felt bad for not being able to share more of the bounty.

i can appreciate your thought my friend !  nice list , shoulda toned it down some myself but that o.c.d. took over  lol .  great to see another fellow illinoisan so close by !  good luck on your grow      :onfire:

I'm down in Champaign, we'll see how it goes. Last year it was so cold that things never really took off. Hopefully this summer will be a little more on the average to warm side.

Nice list.I can see many uses of your non-super-varieties.Good luck on your grow,and may the weather(mother nature)be a friend and not a foe this year!

Good luck with your season from another neighbor. I am going to add some baccatums this year also.  Had 100% chinense last year.  Even though I love the chinense taste, seems my stomach likes it less and less every year.  I figure after this seasons does of superhot salsas and powders might be the end of me.

I'm actually not a huge fan of chinense taste, which is another reason I cut back. I find habaneros to be disgusting, most Trinidad varieties are pretty tasty though.

Found some radioactive-orange pots on clearance today so I gave a few of the overwinters a much needed pot-up.

Front left two are c. rhombs I started in December. The two on the right are overwintered white habs. Back left is an Aji Amarillo overwinter, and the middle back is the Brain Strain Yellow x ? F1:

hXcuiC6.jpg

Another Aji Amarillo, didn't cut this one back too much:

mmydV5O.jpg

Haha, most of its size actually came from its first year. The last couple years have been a bit underwhelming due to weather and other issues.

Pods are like elongate brains, ripen to red. Otherwise nothing particularly noteworthy, so I haven't bothered growing it out.

JukHdZf.jpg

IMGP4715.jpg

I'm getting 100% germ on my lanceolatum seeds and 0% on my older seeds. Some of the chinenses I bought from Judy have started to germ, and I only got those in the mail 3 or 4 days ago. Disappointing, but I'll let everything go for a while and hope for the best, it's only been a couple weeks. I remember last year I had nothing sprouted before I left over the Christmas holiday, got back and had almost 100% germ after 5 weeks so... patience. Galapagoense is the only wild that hasn't sprouted yet. I've heard they can be particularly ornery.

Lanceolatum poking up from the dirt.

BAS1V3d.jpg

Regardless of what happens with my starts, I'll have plenty to get from my overwinters... I may have to top the Aji Amarillo(s) soon, one of them has hit the top of the window.

PVh41MN.jpg

Seedlings are still pretty slow, a few are just starting to poke up out of the soil... at least the annums and a few others will be ready to go.

Pimenta de Neyde

Xg91r5R.jpg

My rhombs are starting to flower and getting pretty bushy

ivxfKyF.jpg

QRj9pLr.jpg

The Aji Amarillo overwinters need to get outside... soon.

WlmEzM3.jpg

Oy this has been a busy year, so I haven't exactly been keeping with the updates... the garden is doing alright, albeit some of the peppers are off to a slow start (I'm a little behind where I was this time last year).

Well... ignoring the Aji Amarillo. They haven't started flowering yet but they should soon. I didn't get ANY pods off them last year so I'm hoping the overwintering will help with that...
SaXFL2Y.jpg

The chile del monte is the same size as them and already has a bunch of pods.
P4Pre2R.jpg

The Trinidad hybrid isn't doing much yet but it'll start bushing out shortly.
kuxdjDa.jpg

As for the rest of the plants most of this year's starts (with the exception of the annums) are about this size: This is one of Judy's Stuffing Scotch Bonnets I decided to try
zRq3m9S.jpg

I almost didn't do any pubescens this year given the late start, but I figured I can always overwinter it if it doesn't do much (Aji Oro Rocoto)
7G8LeJ0.jpg

And lastly every year I have at least one new cross, and this year is no exception. These are what Judy's De Arbols normally look like:
guY0UUj.jpg

And then there's this thing:
qgdH5Xu.jpg

Fat and definitely not thin-walled. They were near the bell peppers last year so I'm not expecting anything too interesting, but maybe it'll make a good frying pepper.

Back