• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Syrup Recipe

As I am sure you can guess I want to use peppers and fruit...I have found way too many variations online surfing and so I am asking for suggestions. I can deal with the basic ingredients but need techniques to get that thick syrupy syrup(yeah that makes sense I think). I can get a thick sauce but I always think of a syrup as thick and sticky.

Thanks
Brian

From my experience, most syrup you make at home is going to be thinner than store bought. You can always add a little cornstarch to help thicken things up though- just be careful, because too much will make the syrup taste starchy.

are you looking for a syrup like what goes on pancakes? or a simple syrup (thinner) like what is used in drinks?

Can you share more of the fruit/pepper/flavors you are working with?

For simple syrups in general (thinking of what is used for canning fruits) the more sugar to water ratio, the thicker the syrup. It goes from a light syrup of 1 part sugar to 3 parts water all the way to heavy syrup which is 4 parts sugar to 1 part water.

I think you can substitute fruit juice for the water in the equations above for traditional fruit syrups. Keep in mind that fruits like apple have a higher pectin content and will thicken more than others. Traditional methods also call for cooking the fruit and using cheesecloth/etc to drain the juice with no pulp.

If you care to share a little more on the direction you are looking for, perhaps some more specific information can be supplied. I had some "simple syrup" left over after making candied habaneros using DaQatz's recipe. Might be something to look at if you are looking for heat in sweet.

You can make the syrup thicker simply by heating it to a warmer temperature. I suggest getting a candy thermometry make a few simple syrups and test what thickness you get. The temp you will want will be below 235 F since at that point you can hold it and roll it into a ball. Syrup Sauces can have some awesome flavor done correctly, though they do act differently when taking on flavors. Example you will be better off using fresh lemon zest for flavor then lemon juice when using sugar. The oils in the zest hold a lot of flavor and survive the heat well, while the juice will change a lot and not always favorably. Syrups are also preserved well without added acids since the sugar itself acts as a preservative(How often does Jelly/jam/preserves have vinegar?) and commercially such a sauce would actually be classified as a preserve or "glaze" and not "hot sauce"

It would be similar to cherry pie filling. Look at the ingredients for cherry pie filling, and experiment with making it a bit thinner and into a syrup.

here's one page-
http://jilliciousdiscoveries.blogspot.com/2009/10/monday-must-have-make-homemade-fruit.html
Cherry Syrup
Adapted from So Easy to Preserve, pg. 225

Yields = About 3 pints

3 cups prepared cherry juice
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp. lemon juice

To Extract Juice
If you own a juicer/steamer, this is a great way to extract juice from fruits and vegetables. If you don't own one, here is a link that explains how to extract juices using a saucepan.

To Make Syrup
1) Sterilize canning jars. Combine ingredients in a saucepan.
2) Bring to a rolling boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
3) Pour into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.
4) Process 10 minutes in a Boiling Water Bath.
*If you will be using syrup right away, you don't need to process in a water bath. When the syrup is cool, store in the refrigerator.

And recipe I have is-
2 cups fruit juice
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 bottle liquid pectin or 1/2 box pectin
stir juice and sugar together in large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Mix water and pectin in small sauce pan and boil 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir into juice mixture. Stir until well mixed.
keeps up to 1 month, hot water bath for longer storage

I've done a lot of jellies and once in a while they don't set up. I think pectin would work good, just have to play around with a couple batches. Not sure how/when you'd add the chiles or if they would be just strained like the fruit.

You'll probably just have to try a few batches. One good thing about pectin, if it's too thin, you can re-processes it with more pectin. There's directions on the box or on the Certo website.

Just keep very detailed records and measure everything exactly.

Back