• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Szechuan Pepper & others

Been looking for these,found @www.tradewindsfruit.com  BTW, they have many unusual seeds,many tropics.
These needs cold stratification for ~6 to 12 weeks & then plant then wait,then may need restratis.,
Seems like a patience involved plant..****think Wilds**** to germinate..I'm game for the unusual.
Anyway,willing & wanting or wanting & willing to give them @ try...who else  is growing this? :D
c0UTlES.jpg

I grew red malabar spinach last year - in the Texas summer, it grew like a weed! The leaves are very tasty when young but turn a bit bitter and more slimy when they get large so make sure you pick often. Also, since it's creeper, it tried to grow everywhere so another incentive to harvest often.

Also, plant them in a pot or container - I had mine in raised beds. If in the ground, they may spread uncontrollably. 

Finally, the first time it dropped close to freezing it died.

I've tried growing them from Tradewinds.  Didn't have any luck.  Took me a few tries to get any of their Tubocapsicum anomalum seeds to sprout, but finally had luck last year and got a few plants out of it.

A lot of their stuff really seems to be hit or miss. 

I'm gonna start looking for szechuan pepper plants in my local nurseries. What's interesting it this:

Pollination Requirements: Dioecious, male and female plants needed for fruit set. Pair Sansho (male) with Sechuan (female) for peppercorns.
So need multiple plants for peppercorns.

I'll give those seeds from TW a try & see how that goes..many of these hard to germinate types are hit or miss IMO
I get the newsletter from ONE GREEN WORLD.They do  have the Szechuan pepper plant and also promoting the Sancho Japanese
Pepper to pair with said Szechuan plant which I  read is dioeciuos,but in my conversation with them(OGW) they said sometimes the female
szechuan/sechuan  can flower /fruit on its own.??

Plan is to grow the Malabar in containers as I have seen it go rampant in the tropics,also I'm not in the heat belt/ temps here moderate
for the most part of the growing season.

Thanks Matt & Siv for your information to this thread.  Caldwell Nursery in  Rosenberg has many hard to find..don't know if that is near you
Siv...I had called them once ~ the Piper Nigrum only to find out they don't ship plants..

Caldwell is 20 mins from my house - I'll be checking them out soon - thank you! I'd love to get some black pepper going... I wonder if it would survive outside...

Siv said:
Caldwell is 20 mins from my house - I'll be checking them out soon - thank you! I'd love to get some black pepper going... I wonder if it would survive outside...
If Caldwell is growing them I would say they would tolerate outside where you are located,since they are so close by,unless
of course they have them now in a sheltered location due to lower temps?
Maybe a consult with them  on growing conditions would be very helpful..They have good stuff,& the piper nigrum seems like  a steal..compared
to Logee's GH which sells a tiny 2.5 inch pot for ~ 18$.
I have read that between 50 & 60 degrees F is the lowest they tolerate without much ill-effects.

Back