• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

T5 fluo lamps

hi,
I have 2 T5 fluo lamps above my peppers...how far above them should I hang them?
I read many different opinions on the internet...
SAM_1634.jpg

I have my 5 bulb t5ho pretty much 3 inches above plant tops (about 5 weeks) and they are doing well but you might need to play around,  there are some variables.

I have my t-5 HO setup no closer than 10 inches. It is a lot of heat. I do have it on 18 hours a day. That is for the big plants. For my seedling they get light 24x7 for 4 to 6 weeks once they break the ground.

I know having my 2 * 6500 54w at just a few inches above kept many leaves purple. I am going to try at 6 inches above this season and adjust until I find the right balance. 

As close as possible without getting "sun burned". Different plants have different light requirements and tolerances. For example, I have an HTG 4-bulb 2-ft fixture above my little ones. Of about 25 baccatums I have growing, 20 varieties did very well with the lights 4 inches above their tops, however, 5 variants were almost burned to death. I have found that a foot above my plants is the sweet spot for mine. Apparently, they are either very decent T5s or my plants are not so tolerant. You will have to experiment for your personal plants and your personal fixture. If you have anemic lights and are too far away, your plants will get leggy by reaching for the light source. Good luck with your experiment.

Mine?
6", and never less than 4".

And as very single one of the buggers grows at a different rate---eventually impossible.
Some will always be too close, others too far.

I tend to do a lot of moving---putting taller on one side, shorter on the other, so I can raise one side of the fixture and keep them from burning.

I am having a similar issue with my seedlings, I have a 300w CFL bulb, about 3 inches from my seedlings I started noticing purple patches appearing on the young leaves. so with that I moved the light further away to about 5-6 inches. strangely enough my santé fe grande seedlings seem to have more tolerance and didn't go purple compared to my Hot paper lantern which suffered!

Trial and error my friend!

Back