• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

T5 Question

I was thinking of getting a Sun Blaze 4ft 4 lamp T5 for starting seeds and sprouts. I was wondering how far will this set up take me in the growth cycle. I'm trying to time an appropriate growth rate for setting outside next spring without the plants getting leggy. Will the T5 support indoor only growth?

When are you planning on starting your seeds? With T5's you can grow the plants from start to finish. :)

When are you planning on starting your seeds? With T5's you can grow the plants from start to finish. :) Your plants shouldnt get leggy unless your light/s are to high up from your plants. Although some people prefer to switch from the T5 to a mh or hps light. It depends how much you want to spend.

What zone are you in? What species are you planting? How many plants are you rearing? All importantant things to consider. Lighting is just one variable. Be as specific as you can or you will get a lot of conflicting and wishy washy info.

I'm in zone 6. I'll be planting no more than 30 super hots. I would like to get them outside before they get 1' ft. I will attempt to overwinter two plants next year as well.

I'm in zone 6. I'll be planting no more than 30 super hots. I would like to get them outside before they get 1' ft. I will attempt to overwinter two plants next year as well.

If you're only starting 30 plants this is more than enough.
DL844 4'x4 54W T5HO Fixture Flat-Ship$9.95, w/6500k Bulbs $79.99

http://www.lightingwise.com/item.asp?PID=142&FID=16&level=1

Overwintered plants require less light, but if you plan on "growing" plants through the winter months that's a horse of a different color.

What would light more growing space, a 4ft 4 tube T5 or a 600w hps?
I don't know about the T5s, but the 600W HPS is putting out over 100,000 lumens IIRC and the plants are 18-20 inches away from the bulb so 1 light covers a 5x5-6x6 area.

If you're only starting 30 plants this is more than enough.
DL844 4'x4 54W T5HO Fixture Flat-Ship$9.95, w/6500k Bulbs $79.99

http://www.lightingw...&FID=16&level=1

Overwintered plants require less light, but if you plan on "growing" plants through the winter months that's a horse of a different color.

I have a up front budget of around 200$ for a light. I was thinking with that i could get a HID that could work for starters as well as some winter indoor growth.

I don't know about the T5s, but the 600W HPS is putting out over 100,000 lumens IIRC and the plants are 18-20 inches away from the bulb so 1 light covers a 5x5-6x6 area.

yeah but how much does your power bill go up?
what about heat mitigation?
fire hazard?
fried plants?

All are easily manageable but at what cost?

I like y T5, only complaint is that the bulb kind warms my seedling bay from the top not the bottom. not great for germing seeds IMO.

Just learned about zones. Thanks for mentioning that.

I'm in zone 10B (Hardiness) 11A (USDA) in a "Rare Frost Zone" woot!

Power bill, for the same light, will go up more with t5 than HID

Fluorescent makes more waste heat than HID.

Both T5 and HID will be a fire hazzard if you are sloppy.

yeah but how much does your power bill go up?
what about heat mitigation?
fire hazard?
fried plants?

All are easily manageable but at what cost?

Electric bill should go up about $25/mo but I switched a bunch (read about 15) incandescents over to cfl bulbs so I am thinking it will only cost me $10 or so a month.

6'x5' room with the door open and the thermometer stays at about 78 degrees while the lights are on. No more mitigation necessary.

What fire hazard? it isnt' like I have combustibles anywhere near the bulb or have the electric wiring compromised in any way.

No fried plants. I raised up the light to 3-4' above the plants until they got used to it then lowered it down to about 20" or so.

Total cost for the light is about $180 give or take a little.

i'm going with two T8s to get the sprouts going this year, and I think I will get a 400WHPS to keep my season going in 2013

I am not sure that 'designer' T5 lights are any different from normal T5. See if you can't find normal 2 or 4 bulb T5 ballasts and choose your own bulbs. Here I can find 2700, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4400, 6500, 8000k blubs all for less than $5 delivered.

CFL and T5 will grow from seedling to fruit with good results. Check my glog if you have doubts on an inexpensive CFL set up.

I picked up a HydroFarm 2'x4 T5 rig. It mentioned some thin about internal ballast, but I also read apartment buildings use ballasts. Do T5 lights need ballasts? What is their primary function? What's this about flickering? That kinda makes sense but how big of a deal is it to not spend the extra $150+ on a box that "makes your lights work good" - lol- I totally just over simplified it for the sake of argument ;)

A ballast is necessary for any fluorescent light. Ballast will regulate the current and also have starter. CFL have the ballast integrated into the bulb as they normally screw into a standard bulb socket.

Those cheap shop lights you buy at Walmart include the housing and ballast. They ballast are normally very cheap and they have a tendency to go out before a quality unit will.

My HydroFarm EnviroGrow 4 bulb t5?has a built in ballast! Woot!

Check prices on Amazon - they're cheaper and they have them in-stock at their fulfillment warehouses - http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=9650

Back