• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

T5

Hey all anyone know where to pick up the best deals on T5 fixtures and bulbs ? Its crazy how much the prices vary from shop to shop. I am looking for one or two 4ft 8-12 bulbs fixtures. Any ideas ? Anyone out there have good experiences with any of the online vendors ?

- Sean O.

Sean

Let me give you another perspective:

Here is a rough rule of thumb.
  • T8 is 40% more efficient than T12.
  • T5 is 50% more efficient than T12.
In other words a T5 is a little over 10% more efficient than a T8, but the price will run anywhere from 50% to 200%+ of a similar T8 setup. In general it depends on what your application for the lamps is going to be and moreover what your budget will allow. If your budget is unlimited go for the T5's. My only issue with the T5's is that sometimes the Big Box stores don't always stock the bulbs.

Overall, when you shed a little "Light" on the subject, T8's look like a whole lot better deal.

Martin

I did my own research, and came up with the same thing, and went for T8s myself (for a small seed starting/lettuce setup). The only reason I could think of that people prefer T5s is that the bulbs themselves are smaller so they pack better - you can get more light density. But I also don't think the efficiency is worth the additional up front (and replacement) cost!

Yep! T8's for sure. We install plenty to know. Only our government run projects seem to have the money to burn up on T5s and really, the output is virtually the same both lumens and power usage, just a higher cost (a lot higher cost) in parts, specifically the bulbs.

I'd like to add : the T5 ballasts will produce much more heat. Which in my case is a bad thing.....every degree counts in my room.

i bought 3x 2 bulb T8 shop fixtures and bulbs for approx. 70$ thats 6x 4 foot bulbs on the babies.

Back