• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

video Tabasco Video

I've seen a few "IIRC" posts about the tabasco manufacturing process so I googled a few videos and this one covers all the bases.  Found this very informative especially because I am ditching cooking methods for my sauces.  

Basically Tabasco is an open air ferment with some parchment paper over the top of the mash to prevent discoloration.  The barrels are closed with a layer of salt over the top to sop up the overflow from the initial fermentation.  The salt solidifies where the seepage occurs. I think wax paper should do the job for my ferments. :)

https://youtu.be/ZgWk4nhwHNY

emanphoto said:
I've seen a few "IIRC" posts about the tabasco manufacturing process so I googled a few videos and this one covers all the bases.  Found this very informative especially because I am ditching cooking methods for my sauces.  

Basically Tabasco is an open air ferment with some parchment paper over the top of the mash to prevent discoloration.  The barrels are closed with a layer of salt over the top to sop up the overflow from the initial fermentation.  The salt solidifies where the seepage occurs. I think wax paper should do the job for my ferments. :)
amazing it takes 3+ years of fermenting to make a sauce so crappy

Back