• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tagro?

Alright I know its something I see anybody use here, but my previius boss uses this. The tomatoes end up getting really bushy and producing a lot of tomatoes. Has anyone else used this or know of it?

I was told basically that its human excrement that's been treated just like manure and turned into fertalizer.

Missed spelled it, tagro

I think it is a company brand name: I googled it

http://www.tagrow.com/

TAGROW is in research, production, and development of special fertilizers for agriculture. TAGROW develops 7 series of products ( Amino Acid, Humic Acid, Natural Extract, EDTA Microelements, Granular Fertilizer, Soluble NPK, Raw Material ), which cover over 80 kinds of fertilizers to improve plants performance.

I wouldn't use any kind of human excrement for anything edible.

People use too many drugs etc. that don't break down and end up in the soil and water as it is.

Purposely using something that probably contains a mix of nasty stuff is asking for trouble.

Kellogg sells Growmulch as a soil amendment.

It's made from sewage treatment plant sludge/by products,whatever.

It works great for lawns etc. but is very high in nasty stuff-heavy metals,drugs,poison residue etc.

It used to be sold as a general soil amendment but now has to be packaged with a warning about not to use it for growing your fruits and veggies.

I wouldn't use it,do those bushy tomatoes glow in the dark?
Maybe they are high in drug residue and will cure what ails ya....

I don't even use Miracle Gro anymore, It would sometimes burn my leaves and leave lots of residue, I have better more controllable luck with fish emulsion.

I didn't know how to do a link so here's a copy paste for you

On first consideration, Gordon Behnke looks too happy. Why would the biosolids operations supervisor for the City of Tacoma have a smile on his face and enthusiasm to spare? After all, biosolids are, well, you know, materials that come from our toilets and drains. Wouldn't a workplace dedicated to processing such unglamorous stuff smell bad? And what could you tell your friends about your work? And would they want to shake your hand after finding out?

But enough levity. Behnke is happy because he works in a sewage treatment plant that has largely eliminated objectionable odors. He's happy because he works in cutting-edge chemistry, overseeing processes that convert waste into safe -- and coveted -- garden amendments. And he's happy because part of his work involves growing prize-winning vegetables right on the plant's grounds.

What Behnke does is make and test Tagro products. Tagro is short for Tacoma Grow.

Currently, Tacoma mixes three Tagro products for home gardeners and landscapers. Tagro Mix, the product designed for incorporation into soil, is 50 percent treated biosolids, 25 percent sand and 25 percent sawdust. With a nitrogen analysis of just under 1 percent, the mix functions like a slow-release fertilizer. And while it's nourishing your plants, the stuff improves soil structure.
If you want Tagro Mulch, the city's popular mix of treated biosolids and fir and hemlock sawdust, you'll have to get in line; there currently are 180 people ahead of you. Don't be discouraged, though. A new batch is due in August. Call 253-502-2150 to be put on the list.

The third product is Tagro Potting Soil, a mix of treated biosolids, maple sawdust and aged fir bark. In tests conducted by scientists at WSU-Puyallup, this product stimulated bigger, earlier and more productive plants than a commercial peat-based potting mix and dairy manure products. The success of the potting soil has Behnke thinking about development of a seedling mix.

The biosolids used in Tagro mixes are rated Class A. That means they're pathogen-free. Moreover, the concentrations of heavy metals in the mixes are well below the Environmental Protection Agency's "clean biosolids" maximum limits. Every year Dan Thompson, the head of wastewater management operations for the Tacoma Public Works Department, signs his name to a document certifying that the city's biosolids meet all trace-element limitations and Class A pathogen requirements.

Should you want further assurance, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Washington Department of Ecology and the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department all give Tagro products their blessings.

To produce biosolids without objectionable odors, Tagro experts have had to be innovative. Their solution is a three-stage process at different temperatures. After a two-day, 160-degree, aerobic decomposition in which pathogens are destroyed, the solids undergo anaerobic digestion at lower temperatures, first at around 130 degrees and later at 90. Different organisms work each stage of the decomposition process. The critters in the final, coolest stage virtually eliminate odors.

Tagro mixes are available at the Central Wastewater Treatment Plant, 2201 Portland Ave., Gate 5. Bring a shovel and your own containers. Delivery can be arranged for an additional charge. Summer hours (April-September) are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays. October through March, the hours are 8 a.m.-3 p.m. on weekdays only. For driving directions and information, contact the Tagro office at 253-502-2150 or go online at www.tagro.com.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at the prices for Tagro products. Tagro Mix sells for $8 a cubic yard for City of Tacoma residents and $10 a cubic yard for non-residents. The potting soil goes for $30 a cubic yard or $5 minimum purchase for 1/6 cubic yard. And the popular Tagro Mulch costs $12* a cubic yard or $5* minimum purchase for 1/2 cubic yard.

Would I use Tagro Potting Soil for plants inside our house? I already have, and it doesn't smell.

Would I use Tagro Mix in my vegetable garden? I've already incorporated it into the soil growing my fall/winter carrots, and I'm not worried about suffering mysterious ailments or turning iridescent.

Would I shake Behnke's hand? Every chance I get. What he and his colleagues are doing is the future of biosolids management in our country.

"The biosolids used in Tagro mixes are rated Class A. That means they're pathogen-free. Moreover, the concentrations of heavy metals in the mixes are well below the Environmental Protection Agency's "clean biosolids" maximum limits. Every year Dan Thompson, the head of wastewater management operations for the Tacoma Public Works Department, signs his name to a document certifying that the city's biosolids meet all trace-element limitations and Class A pathogen requirements."

And how many "standards" are considered too hazardous after a few years,well after you grew that sexy 3rd eye?

I can't see ANY safe standard for stuff like Mercury or Mercury in it's several forms.
It never leaves your system.
The same goes for a lot of the other materials that make their way down our drains.

You can be exposed to some stuff as a kid,then more years latter and for years after that until you finally get a big enough concentration to hurt or kill you or your unborn kid.

DDT and a ton of other poisons were all considered safe to use.
Now they consider second hand smoke worse than actually smoking by some of the so called experts.

I figure that any addition of crap from ferts or whatever is just adding to the stuff we can't avoid that is already in the stuff we breath and eat/are exposed to.

Why knowingly add more,no matter how little and harmless the chemical co. or whoever is selling the stuff say it is.

On second thought,glow in the dark tomatoes might be a good thing.

They won't need an extra light source to grow indoors,they'll light themselves...Mercury Halide tomatoes...
Won't have to burn as much coal to make electricity for the grow shelf.
Cleaner air.Be able to see farther with that 3rd eye...

On second thought,glow in the dark tomatoes might be a good thing.
carefull, they are highly addictive.
tomacco.jpg

tomaco_1.jpg

1260753039078_f.jpg

Nothing like a nice fresh Tomaco with an ice cold Duff beer.

Beer ,Guatamalan insanity pepper sauce and tomaco juice for the hangover...

Very good points, thanks smokemaster. Figured i'd ask cause at one point they were giving it away free, but now with a waiting list I believe they're charging it and want to spend the money if it wasn't safe.

I'd bet that growmulch and togrow start out as the same thing.

They thin out the sludge with sawdust and sand to lower it's bad stuff to a level they can call safe.

I'd also bet after a few years of using the stuff in your garden the sawdust decomposses and leaves the heavy metals behind to concentrate.
Do you really believe that the sanitation district isn't just trying to get rid of their problem with having to get rid of the treated waste without costing them a cent(now they charge for it).

I wonder what the stuff tests at without the sand and sawdust,that is what will end up in your back yard once the organic stuff breaks down.

They just found it cheaper and possibly profitable to water the treatment plants end product down and sell it to people as great stuff in the garden.

They probably gave it away free at first because they weren't sure people would want the stuff.
Since people do they are charging for it instead of having to pay to get it disposed of themselves.

I really don't think they are or can remove all the bad stuff from their sewage sludge in a cost effective way so they are watering it down and want people to eat their own waste-pay for it too...

They literally gold plated a turd and now people are buying it to eat.

I'd bet that growmulch and togrow start out as the same thing.

They thin out the sludge with sawdust and sand to lower it's bad stuff to a level they can call safe.

I'd also bet after a few years of using the stuff in your garden the sawdust decomposses and leaves the heavy metals behind to concentrate.
Do you really believe that the sanitation district isn't just trying to get rid of their problem with having to get rid of the treated waste without costing them a cent(now they charge for it).

I wonder what the stuff tests at without the sand and sawdust,that is what will end up in your back yard once the organic stuff breaks down.

They just found it cheaper and possibly profitable to water the treatment plants end product down and sell it to people as great stuff in the garden.

They probably gave it away free at first because they weren't sure people would want the stuff.
Since people do they are charging for it instead of having to pay to get it disposed of themselves.

I really don't think they are or can remove all the bad stuff from their sewage sludge in a cost effective way so they are watering it down and want people to eat their own waste-pay for it too...

They literally gold plated a turd and now people are buying it to eat.

:rofl:
That's funny, yet sadly sounds very true with the people runnin the show up here in WA.

Back