• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tailed Douglah

I grew out 6 Douglah plants from seeds I saved from a plant I grew last year. The plant the seeds came from was nowhere near the Trinidad Scorpion plants I grew last year, but guess what? I have a tailed Douglah. Only 1 on the plant out of 13 pods has a tail. Is this a cross or a mutation or just a freak occurance? Forgive the foggy apperance, my camera didnt adjust well from going from a/c in the house to 95 and humid outside.

The Plant...
IMG_0012-2.jpg

Some pods...
IMG_0013-2.jpg

Tail!
IMG_0014-2.jpg

A lot of chinenses grow tails occasionally, especially the various trinidad strains (like Douglah), so it doesn't necessarily mean they crossed. I believe POTAWIE says the tail is caused by the flower ring restricting the pod growth at the tip, so maybe it's not 100% genetic, and is partially a mechanical thing (which no doubt is more/less likely to happen based on genetics). Sometimes even regular habaneros will have tails.

If it is a cross, that would probably be one mean cross though. :cool:

I will keep the seeds from that pod in a seperate baggie for next year, just to see, but yeah, it would be a wicked cross, isnt there already a brown scorpion?

If it is a cross, then every pod on that plant will contain the crossed genetics, not just the one with the tail, so really no need to separate seeds from that pod from the seeds from the rest of the pods on that plant.

Yeah there's a brown scorpion, someone posted a video of them eating it the other day. Apparently it's not extremely hot like would be expected. So maybe it's a scorpion/chocolate hab cross or something. It was a giant pod for a scorpion though. :eek:

Back