• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Tallest pubescens

I have a dream of a chilli orchard. The rocoto is often commonly referred to as the chilli tree and I remember reading it can reach upwards of 3m. However I doubt all cultivars of pubescens can reach this and finding info is a pain.
Anyone know of a particularly tall one? Anything more accurate about just how tall they can be?

I had two this year over 8ft but they grow in every direction so it's like a giant bush rather tall pepper tree. pruning may help. 

I had a red rocoto couple of years back that was About 2m! Had to cut it back due it was in my greenhouse ! Now i have a brazilian starfish that is +2,50m . Those are the tallest i grew ! Also had a tall Joe's long cayenne! +-2m grtz

Giant rocoto is probably the biggest. Rocotos grow like vines. Put them in the shade and feed lots of nitrogen fert if you want them to grow taller. They will send out vertical shoots in search for sunnier spots.

Aussie said:
Giant rocoto is probably the biggest. Rocotos grow like vines. Put them in the shade and feed lots of nitrogen fert if you want them to grow taller. They will send out vertical shoots in search for sunnier spots.
I agree 100%.  My tallest this year was a Giant Rocoto.  The thing just wouldn't quit!

As I didn't trellis mine which had been crossed by a fellow member here they acted like vines going everywhere, had I trellised them they probably would have hit at least 2 M. I had them planted in front of my pole beans that help to shade them and fix the nitrogen in the soil as the only source of fertiliser, as it was they spead out every where and made some very nice apple shaped pods, the only draw back here is the summer heat puts them on hold till nearly fall when they really kick in and put out pods.

My one year plant reached 10 feet before I had to top it (as it was hitting the roof). Guess I can't u/l picture here. From the same seeds, the smallest one was 3 feet, tallest 10+ with an average of around 5'

Back