• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tamarillo

Tamarillo has a big stem so no need to tutor.
A big pot is required otherwise it will always be on the back, the wind takes in the leaves.
They have large leaves and the wind is tearing them, better put it in a protected area.

It is the family of tomatoes, so same type of culture.

tamarillo can become giant .... !!!!
last time never be able to pass it in the door 
But it 'was a great experience and it was exotic in front of the house
I'll grow it again

I haven't grown them but I got some at our local Central Market and used them and prickly pears in a ferment that ultimately became a nice bbq sauce.  Well liked!
It was a mistake to use the bottled sun dried tomato's which had an oil in them and is a no no as far as ferments go.  Mine came out good in spite of this mistake.  I think the oil is classic breeding ground for bad guy's.

I do not know anything about growing it though.

Mike

I know this is a bit late, but I've been a bit late for awhile now, I had 4 large plants that I move in and out of my apartment, and was rewarded with 10 fruit off of the 4 plants then we had some bad weather with high winds that stripped the leaves off and broke most of the tops out of them. I liked the fruit when they finally bloomed and set fruit, but dragging them in and out got to be to much so I gave them to a neighbor. If WalMart would stock them I would buy some. I got my seeds from a friend in Australia, at that time Backer's creek had just started selling seeds. they have some other edible Solanum plants now to go with the Tamarillo  that has tasty fruits.   

Back