• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense taste of the Peach Bhuts and maybe what to cross it with

I know I just asked about the Jay's peach bhut scorpion, but this time, I'm asking about the peach Bhut Jolokias. I have seen the color, and hear that they are luscious. Would you say they have a peach taste added to the regular bhut taste? If so, I just had a weird idea that I thought I would run by you all. What luscious pods might come out of a cross with the peach bhut and a yellow Fatalii? mmmm makes you think doesn't it? Would you put the bhut pollen on the Fatalii, or would you put the Fatalii pollen on the peach bhut? Tom

They do not taste like peach, that refers to the color only if they grow true. My plant last year produced ripe red pods, trying it again this year from another seed source. Based off what I said about mine being red and not peach, not sure how stable they are to begin with.

They do not taste like peach, that refers to the color only if they grow true. My plant last year produced ripe red pods, trying it again this year from another seed source. Based off what I said about mine being red and not peach, not sure how stable they are to begin with.

Had the same thing happen to me this week when my first 2 Purple Jalapeno's went straight from green to red. Peach, purple, and white seem to be less than stable pod colors for many varieties from what I've seen/read around here. I'm just hoping between my 2 Black Naga plants this year, I get one which actually produces Black/Brown pods.

Back on topic, I've heard that Peach Bhuts are delicious indeed, but I wouldn't expect a major difference in taste from the traditional red until you've tasted a true peach pod yourself.

I would agree with Joyner. Habanero level heat, very sweet, a hint of the "bhut" flavor. So far mine are putting out pods that have the peach color, but if left a few extra days on the plant they turn more of a light orange color.

My Peach Bhut Scorps and Peach Bhuts got slammed by aphids its the third week and they seem to be recovering but, I won't see pods till July or later!

Here we are again, something that is peach colored, but no peach taste. I'm sorry to hear that and that it isn't all that hot. I'm always thinking about possible taste combinations on these peppers. Ever since I tried 1 special yellow brain strain pepper that had a yellow taste mixed in with a red taste at the same time (and the heat of a red brain), I had never thought about how complicated a taste of one of these peppers might be. Maybe Fatalii pollen on a red Brain Strain might make something interesting for next season.

These are the ones I grew last year fully ripe..

No, they do not taste like peaches, but they are very tasty IMO. Similar to a red bhut, but not as "fruity" or "floral". I also found them to be quite hot. I think they are a natural mutation, unlike purple bhuts which are a cross, and not really bhut-like at all (and not very hot). I grew both last year, and purple bhuts are on my "will never grow again" list, but I'm growing several peach bhuts this year. I really like them.

I also had a couple plants last year that put out different pods that ripened red. They were not nearly as wrinkled or hot either. Of course I only saved seeds from the ones that grew true, and I'm hoping they will grow true again this year.

I highly recommend them.

Here's a great review by Beaglestorm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qANe5SLXjL4&feature=player_detailpage

I had some last year that were awesome! Think i have 5 plants going right now. Id have to agree with the slight sweet flavor at first and decently hot. They were some of my favorites out of what i recived.

Back