food Tasty Meatballs

Sorry, no pics tonight. But after all, if you've seen one meatball, you've seen them all. This tasted yummy, so wanted to share.

Started with the basics:
1/2 pound ground beef (I use sirloin or chuck)
1/2 pound ground pork
1-1/2 cups panko
1 egg

I didn't measure seasonings, but will try to give an estimate:
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
1-1/2 tsp dried rosemary leaves
1 Tbsp AJ's fatalii puree
Juice from half a lime - probably 1 Tbsp

All those got mixed together, formed into balls, then browned the outsides over medium-high heat in a skillet. Poured a can of Contadina Thick & Zesty tomatoe sauce plus a bit of Prego Traditional sauce on top, covered, reduced heat to medium-low, then cooked for about 10 minutes more. I don't put meatballs on top of pasta, so don't use a lot of sauce - after the tomatoe sauce, just added enough Prego to finish covering the meatballs.

I hope you try and enjoy it!

Japanese breadcrumbs. They are a little coarser than traditional breadcrumbs.

Sounds good Geeme. Did you mix it by hand or with a mixer?

I had the same question, what is panko but JayT cleared that up.
I bet it would taste good over those long oriental green beans as well - steamed of course.
I kinda have to agree with TB, I never make meatballs the same way twice, I like how you don't accurately measure your ingredients gives it a mysterious aura.

I've never made meatballs. They always reminded me of tiny meatloafs.....

....and you all know how I feel about meatloaf. :lol:

Geeme, that recipe sounds great and I will have to give it a try the next time I'm up for meatballs. Thanks for sharing. Now, go grab a camera and take some pics. :lol:

No two meatballs are ever alike. Seen them all? C'mon now. No pics. Never happened.
Since the pic whores have spoken..... albeit two years ago....

No, it hasn't been two years since I made these meatballs. But tonight was just a tad different. My son did the grocery shopping, and got one pound each of beef and pork, so I had too many meatballs to fit into a single skillet. I made a single batch of the meat mixture, but used different sauces in the two skillets. For the meat mixture, I used fatalii powder instead of puree, used aji panca instead of cayenne, used minced garlic in addition to garlic powder, and added lemongrass.

One skillet had the same tomatoe sauce mix:
P1010054.JPG

The other skillet used a mix of SalsaLady's garlic/smoked hab sauce and miso hoisin sauce:
P1010055.JPG

There. Like I said, one meatball pretty much looks like the next. But for those of you who want more, anyway.....
P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

No, they're not pretty, but like the title of this thread says, they're tasty!

2 years later....

G that is awesome!

True that some would say they all look alike but I only agree just a little bit.

I would venture to say that every country on the planet has their own version of the meatball.

It's not and never has been just an Italian 'thang.

I recollect some incredible Vietnamese meatballs I had in Seattle made with pork, oyster and fish sauce, and garlic and chile's that totally rocked!

Some good cold weather comfort food - meatball subs.

Meat, bread crumbs, grated cheese, diced onion, garlic and
jalapeno, Madame Jeanette peppers, Worcestershire sauce,
egg, basil, etc:

IMAG3066.jpg

IMAG3067.jpg

Cooked in the oven to remove some grease before getting
happy in some homemade spicy marinara sauce:

IMAG3068.jpg

Bunned, cheesed and broiled:

IMAG3069.jpg

Wait.... robbie? Why the video of Scovie??? :rofl:

The meatballs look great, and the sammie looks like something I want to devour NOW!

Back