• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tea - Camellia sinensis

My elderly East Indian neighbour stopped by today and gave me a tea seed, we talked about it before and thought maybe she forgot or didn't have it.
The seed is old, she is old, she picked it from her father's tea plantation in Northern India when she was a girl.
I told her I will attempt to regenerate the seed.

...anyone have advice?

HPIM1803.jpg

This is the best image I could get. The white in the middle of the pod is similar to that of a nut, if I shake the pod it rattles, so I am guessing that thing making the rattling sound is the preembryo. My neighbour did tell me the seed may not be any good but she really didn't know, I am guessing the seed is 50 - 60 years old. She picked it as a young girl and I am guessing she is 65 - 75 years young.

I would try soaking in salt peter for 24 hour then planting into some coir or a baggie about 85 d f so you can watch it. goggled tea found nothing. That pretty old.

smokey you bottom feeder...

I don't understand what you are saying here. Did you think I was asking for seeds. I don't even like tea. I was simply trying to gauge what you have to work with. I think most of us germinate more seeds than necessary when we are unsure of germination rates. That is what I was getting at.

Sorry Josh, ya, thought you were sniffing for seeds, I wasn't meant as an attack, just an off the cuff silly remark.

I haven't done anything with it yet, I have only one shot at germinating the thing and I don't even know if it is any good, it rattles if I shake it and I really don't know much about tea pods.

I have looked into getting a tree plant/bush but have never found any such thing, at least in Canada.

It will take me a couple of weeks to accumulate enough information before I take action.

Sorry Josh, ya, thought you were sniffing for seeds, I wasn't meant as an attack, just an off the cuff silly remark.

I haven't done anything with it yet, I have only one shot at germinating the thing and I don't even know if it is any good, it rattles if I shake it and I really don't know much about tea pods.

I have looked into getting a tree plant/bush but have never found any such thing, at least in Canada.

It will take me a couple of weeks to accumulate enough information before I take action.

No prob...
I think the gathering information plan is good. It is going to be really cool if you get that thing to germinate.

Back