• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers

Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers
1046 Broad Street
Meriden, CT 06450

http://www.tedsrestaurant.com/

You've probably seen this place on the Travel Channel. Birthplace of the Steamed Cheeseburger. Yes, steamed (don't knock it til you try it! ;) ). About 15 minutes from my house, and known by us locals as "Ptomaine Ted's" :rofl: They've come a long way, and they actually wear gloves when they prep your food now :) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ptomaine

Honestly, I've never actually heard of anyone getting sick there, and the grub is amazing. Just came back from Ted's and it's the best hangover food I've ever had. I wish they were still open 24hrs (they used to be, back in the day)

Ok, enough yappin'.....
Tiny little shack on the side of the road
IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

They put the meat and cheese in these little rectangular trays and pop them into the steamer. I couldn't get a good pic of the steamer door open because the guys that work there are so damn fast
IMG_5558.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5561.JPG

IMG_5562.JPG

BOOM!
IMG_5565.JPG

Best damn cheese pull you've ever seen.....
IMG_5566.JPG

No French fries here. Home fries, homie!
IMG_5567.JPG

Hit up Ted's if you ever get a chance! You won't be disappointed ;)

https://youtu.be/Y0pq_u54nQI

They definitely do cheese right! My biggest complaint about cheese on sammies and burgers is, can't taste it! Put more! ;)

Student of Spice said:
Beyond that I don't know if I could really get behind a steamed burger with untoasted buns, I see how one would have to try it to like it.
I'm telling you, you'd be pleasantly surprised at how delicious they are! Super juicy, but not greasy

Nulle said:
It looks like a place I saw on 'Man v Food'. :P
Yup! You sure did!
Sorry, not sure why that wouldn't embed ^
(Skip to the 5:30 mark)

hogleg said:
You've inspired me to nuked some white castle cb's :rofl:
You're on your own there, bro! :high: :rofl:

Teds, K LaMays or American Steamed I love me some steamed burgers. Nice pics Mike Been going to Teds for years, I used to race at the Meriden BMX track.

Mr.CtChilihead said:
Teds, K LaMays or American Steamed I love me some steamed burgers. 
Dude, I STILL haven't been to LaMay's! Can you believe that?! Kevin (Lamay), from what I've heard, used to work at Ted's, then left to open his own steamed burger joint ("LaMay's"). Supposedly they're freaking awesome though. (I worked with one of Kevin's buddies, building the Yale School of Management in New Haven for 3 years, a few years ago. Freakin cool looking building too , you should do an image search for it)

Kinda like the Pat's vs. Geno's cheesesteaks in Philly. Die hard, loyal fans to each place ;)

Student of Spice said:
I agree, the cheese looks thick and melty which is awesome. Beyond that I don't know if I could really get behind a steamed burger with untoasted buns, I see how one would have to try it to like it. 

I think it looks killer. I'm not really a roasted bun guy. Don't get me wrong, I like butter then barely a toast personally. So lot of places mess it up though and make the bun super crunchy- like hurt the roof of your mouth crunchy. I'm not down with that.

MikeUSMC said:
I'm telling you, you'd be pleasantly surprised at how delicious they are! Super juicy, but not greasy

I do believe you on how it would be super juicy and would try one in a second.

sirex said:
I think it looks killer. I'm not really a roasted bun guy. Don't get me wrong, I like butter then barely a toast personally. So lot of places mess it up though and make the bun super crunchy- like hurt the roof of your mouth crunchy. I'm not down with that.

I have never had a bun that was super crunchy but if I were I would have to request a mulligan from the chef, super crunchy buns doesn't sound delicious. It does sound like a hell of a work out though. 60 seconds to super crunchy buns! 

Looks pretty good. Our local favorite in California is in-n-out burger. It's a chain but til recently they've only been in California. They recently just started branching out into other states.

A "real" slider is technically steamed on top of onions on a flattop, and the onion steam gives the patty flavor, then, with a spatula, it is flipped so it gets a sear on one side, onions on top.

Back