• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

teenage dance corsage question

salsalady

Business Member
For those who have children in grades 9-12 who have attended proms or formal dances in the last 2 years....

Do the boys give their dates a corsage (pin on or wrist-type) any more or is that no longer a part of formal dance etiquette?

just wondering what is the current etiquette for young people's formal dances.

thanks~

salsalady

Well SL, here's my 2¢.

I say yes, he should get his date a corsage. If he doesn't, it might make her feel bad, espescially if everyone else has one.
If no one else has one, it will make her feel extra special, and her friends jealous.

This is what I remember, from all my proms. Also, if he gets her a 'pin on' corsage, he needs to hand it to her and let her pin it on.

I hope this helps.

Well SL, here's my 2¢.

I say yes, he should get his date a corsage. If he doesn't, it might make her feel bad, espescially if everyone else has one.
If no one else has one, it will make her feel extra special, and her friends jealous.

This is what I remember, from all my proms. Also, if he gets her a 'pin on' corsage, he needs to hand it to her and let her pin it on.

I hope this helps.

+1 what scovie said. Ideally, the guy will ask well ahead of time what color the girl's dress is, so that A) you don't buy a blue corsage for a pink dress and B) the girl knows that the dude is properly trained.

Keep up tradition whenever possible. Tell the lady killer to have fun and make sure to mention his waffle win :lol:

K so as of 8 years ago when I graduated yes it still was proper and I would say it still is. The wrist is the corsage for a girl the pin on thingy boutiner(sp?) Is for the girl to give a guy. Anyway I also agree find out dress color to match. Have fun Evan!!!!!

go with the wrist,,,,, .

tell homeboy to have a good time,,tell him to where that sicman shirt under his tux the girls cant resist a man in a sic shirt

Well SL, here's my 2¢.

I hope this helps.
+1 -

As the Father of 2 daughters, one graduated last year and the other gradustes in 2 weeks, Yes he had better buy one and find out the color of dress in time to match the flowers to her dress. Extra points for any guy that can match Cumberbun/Vest and Tie. Tell him to show real interst in her dress. These girls are spending, Ok, Mom and Dad are spending major dollars on these dresses and it's almost like buying a Wedding dress as they go through dress after dress after dress after dress after dress. The girls really want them to take interest but they won't ask or try to get them to show interest. He'll just have to man up and do it.

Just a little knowledge from the trenches.

OK, Thanks for the input. 'Course, my view was for a corsage, but you know how parents are totally out of touch with what's hip and appropriate... :crazy:

The dance colors are black & white, and he knows her dress is a striped black n white. We don't have a local flower shop to buy a corsage, so it's up to mom to make one. I might have some elastic to make a wrist corsage, but it may have to be a pin-on one.

Will keep you posted~

Yes, Pics are a must.

At least it's not:

CamoFormal.jpg

Holy shiznit! I would never dress in camo formally that's just (ok I'll say it I can afterall I live in Buckley one of Washingtons redneck capitals) REDNECK!!!!!!!

Well, I couldn't convince the guys to bring corsages, even after they read these posts. They did concede to take a single carnation to the dance for their girls. They were the only ones to bring flowers. But for a 7th grade dance, I suppose that's a good start.

Here they are, dressed and ready to go. Salsadude was at work so we had to youtube "how to tie a tie". :lol:
a34d8a0c.jpg

For the next dance, they're going reverse their colors. I guess they were quite a hit with their mirror image colors.

Nice pic there, and such good-looking gentlemen, SL! Mine have been out of high school a while, but with my traveling for business, I end up in convos on this very topic all over the country. For future reference, I would recommend that you call the girl(s) or their moms and ask what they are expecting and even what color(s) they would like - different areas have different traditions, and they even flux within an area from time to time - some places the girls want flowers to match the dress, some places the girls want the school colors, for example. Some still do BIG corsages (and yes, the wrist tends to be the most popular, regardless of size), while others do more petite arrangements. Some girls like to be surprised by a corsage, but some have very strong ideas about what an "appropriate" one is. And yeah, boys frequently could care less, but in some areas, they earn HUGE brownie points with the girls for getting the "right" thing, and earn the kiss of death for the "wrong" thing - which may make it more difficult to get a date to the next dance!

So I wish you well over the next several years - hopefully in your area simpler is better!

Thanks for the thoughts, G~. It was a 7th-8th grade junior high dance, so not that big of a deal this year. Good idea to call the girl's mom.

I don't know what our high school kids do for flowers. Our kids are kinda stuck because we don't have a flower shop in in the valley that can make corsages. I bought a bouquet of flowers at the grocery store intending to make a corsage. If the kid doesn't have a "crafty" parent, they're kinda stuck. The might be able to order a corsage/boutanierre from the flower people who supply the grocery store, but I dunno.

I'm just glad to hear from others that flowers for formal dances/proms is still the norm.

Yeah, junior high dances aren't usually up to high school speed, but even some of those are amazing.

All I can think of during some of these convos is "thank goodness it wasn't that kind of ordeal when/where my kids were in high school." I've talked with some people where they'll get together and pay a couple of the crafty moms to pull things together. That's something to check out, too.

That's a good idea, but that would also mean I have to socialize with other moms. :think: maybe for Senior Prom~~~~ :lol:

SL - Omak used to have some cool florists...hey, maybe next time, they'd love to do a trade with you!!! You prolly have about 6 months to network before the next formal rolls around? ;)

I think you're right, CJ, there's at least 1 florist in Okanogan and probably 1-2 in Omak.

After this, I'm not gonna worry about corsages until Junior Prom unless they/he asks for one. BUT!!!! the guys can still give the girls a flower from the grocery store...which is what these two did. Salsakid wanted to get a single rose, but the grocery store didn't have single roses, only small roses by the dozen. Next year, before the dance, I'll ask Cheryl to bring in some singe roses.

Back