• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce TEJAS TEARS HABANERO CHILE SAUCE

TEJAS TEARS HABANERO CHILE SAUCE
By SGT. Pepper’s Hot Sauce

tejastearsel2.jpg

INGREDIENTS: Habanero chiles, carrots, onions, water, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, canola oil. 5 ounce bottle

“Hot Enough to Make you Cry”

Well, not hot enough to make me cry but maybe some folks. What you have here is your typical carrot-based habanero hot sauce.

Tejas Tears has a nice fresh aroma, possibly from the lack of vinegar and the presence of lime juice. What this sauce doesn’t have is salt, which may explain why the taste under whelmed me so. It’s decent enough, but it’s lacking something…that something is salt. Salt acts like a catalyst in food. It makes sweets sweeter and brings out the flavor that is there. I suppose the omission of salt is to make for a healthier product so if you are on a sodium limited diet this may be a good sauce for you.

I’m all for keeping Austin weird ( that’s local lingo for supporting local businesses), so I wanted to give this a good review since it’s local product but it’s pretty middle of the road. I’ve had worse but I’ve also had much better ( see Marie Sharps for an excellent example of this style of sauce).

Taste 4/10 Heat 6/10

I can tell by the volume of sauce in the bottle that you took the review seriously.

I "accidentally" created a carrot based sauce and have been looking for examples and reviews of others to fine tune my own. Thanks for being honest and not just bandwagoning the local sauce.

Back